Slow Loading Desktop Icons

(12 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Davy49
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 6503 times

Davy49
Davy49

Hi,
I thought I'd try and see if anyone else who uses windows 7 has this same issue, and that is how long my desktop icon's take to actually load their images. It's not like I have a LOT of them to load anyway..only 22 total. I've already tried rebuilding the desktop icon cache, it didn't seem to help much. I'd rather keep my icons so I can view/use them, instead of hiding them. I know there's a LOT of useful information here...I'm hoping someone will have an answer.
Thanks,
David

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

PC spec's would be useful here, especially RAM size.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Davy49 hi,
Depends on what all you have loading when windows starts up.
If you want to see what the big time comsumers are click on the start orb > type msconfig > startup tab > look and see what all is in your startup list and start unchecking some that you don't need at startup.
You can also click on the services tab and tick hide all Microsoft services and then look at what all is in there uncheck some that you think are time eaters.
It's a trial and error kind of thing but it will give you a better idea of why it takes so long for the icons to load.

Sorry Irv, was typing

g-x

Posted 2 years ago

Davy49
Davy49

Thanks for the replies, as far as the ram goes, it's 3Gigs on the laptop in question.
David

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

OK, so is this a 32 or 64 bit version of Windows. What is the CPU, speed and number of cores? Video card, discrete or on-board? How much Video RAM? 5400 or 7200 RPM hard drive? All this plays into the answer.

How many items are you Auto-Starting? Are you loading Gadgets and how many?

How fast is your Internet connection? What A/V and Firewall are you running?

Is this something new that has just recently happened or has it always been like this?

Answer these and "we'll" know better on how to go from there depending on your answers.

What you have can be anything from 'normal' to you have a virus, and almost anything in between.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

I can confirm that I have the same problem (but it doesn't bother me much). When I turn on my PC, the icons appear. Not with their graphical icons, but with the generic icon graphic. In a couple of seconds, the icons flash, and turn into normal graphical icons. This also happens when I open the start menu after a reboot.

Have a look. Some of the icons have appeared, others are still struggling to get their identity

System Specs: 2.7 Dual core, 2GB RAM, 512MB dedicated video card (nvidia, shared memory makes it about 1277 MB in total), W7 x86

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

I suspect the limitations/slowness comes from the graphics facility. If you only have a weak on-board graphics, that can happen.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Icon's on the Desktop, no matter how many, is part of the boot process. Files have to be opened to get the graphics. The boot process is NOT a single threaded operation. It co-mingles with other operations during boot. That that require disk access 'share' the access.

I have an Intel i7 quad-core and have umpteen things on my desktop, a Dell Dock, a System tray, Quick start tray, gadgets, etc. I too see some icon's and even occasionally some gadget opening up slowly with the icon's being generic. Once the system completes though all is OK. My desktop DID fill fast once I installed an SSD, but then again, the system boots faster and the disk access times are significantly faster.

Some of this could just be 'normal'.

If the icon's bother you, create desktop folders, like Utilities, Photo programs, Games, etc. and move the desktop icons into them. Should help the booting strain.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

It is being caused by another program you have in your startup menu (as Irv says). Disable your startup progs one by one in msconfig, (and Startup), until you find the culprit.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

There might be no 'culprit' either. Take something like Norton's Internet Security suite. It calls home on boot and it gets the latest A/V signatures. High priority stuff, and depending on how large, could consume time. Check how many others 'call home', Google Chrome, Java, Sun stuff, and other programs. Everyone is vying for resources, disk, CPU, RAM, Internet, video... and all are a function of who is trying to what to whom. Capability of the system has a lot to do with this and why some see it and some don't as well as the application mix and timing.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I did not mean culprit in the the bad sense of the word Irv. But one or more programs loading up can cause it. If they are not necessary then remove them from startup, or put on delayed startup if they are necessary but not too important.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

LH, I figured you didn't mean it as something bad causing it. Norton's ISS will wait for the Internet to be up and then immediately d/l the latest signatures. Can tied up a lot of things...

Me, I don't worry about the icon painting, if it isn't done, the desktop, and hence the OS, isn't completely up.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!