How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Slow Laptop Windows 7

(11 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by danbywinby
  • Latest reply from danbywinby
  • Topic Viewed 404 times

danbywinby

Hey Guys

I need help in the past week or so my laptop has been going really slow takes bout 5 mins to be able to use chrome after launching once desktop had loaded and when booting up it takes ages after showing the desktop for me to be able to actually use the desktop. It currently runs Windows 7 H.P and dual boots with Ubuntu it is about two years old. I can't re-install windows or reset it to factory setting because I've got all my college stuff on it it does currently have a lot of software installed on it but again mostly this is because if college.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated or if you need more info please just ask

Thank You

Danby

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

Try this:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Open Ccleaner > Tools > StartUp amd disable everything except your antivirus and anything else you know you need to be running on startup. Everything else can be started in the Start menu on demand as you need them. Reboot and see if that makes a difference.

Tony

Posted 2 years ago

danbywinby

Thanks Tony

That has certainly made my laptop load the desktop faster who knew that to shins all those useless processes in the background however google chrome is still slow on startup though.

Danby

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Also run Malwarebytes and/or Superantispyware and delete all they find. Also in Chrome go to Customize and Control Google Chrome (Brown 3-bar chevron) and in settings, extensions disable all that you do not absolutely need. (even some you think you do). That will make it load faster. Change your home page to blank.

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

Xhi

"Change your home page to blank"

Do you think the DNS Look Up slows it down while Chrome is loading?

Danby

Try this Chrome browser that I use it seems to resist needless toolbars and extensions being added as well as being more generally secure...no need to lose your current Chrome. Import your stuff from Chrome by clicking Dragon icon > Bookmarks > Imprt Bookmarks and Settings > Select Chrome > Import.

http://www.comodo.com/home/bro.....rowser.php

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

No, but some pages take a long time to load adding to the whole startup process. I recommend this for folks on dialup. Just suggested it as part of the debugging process.

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

Right Xhi

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

One thing I might suggest is you make an image of what you have since it appears most is important data.

Posted 2 years ago

danbywinby

Hey guys right I have ran superantispyware and malware bytes and removed everything that they found which was nothing for malware bytes and two tracking cookies for superantispyware I have also disabled all extensions for chrome and changed the home page to the new tab page which is default. I shall see how it goes for tonight and tomorrow and let you guys know if it seems any faster. And yeah germ-x I probably should backup my stuff but luckily my college stuff is stored in college and I just keep copies on my laptop and on USB but as far as backup for my laptop I have none cus I can't seem to find a good backup system for me for example online backup would be great but it costs and I need backup for free so at the moment I have no backup and I know it's stupid but hey I just hope nothing goes wrong and so far it had worked.

Danby

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

A good one many members here use is Macrium and it's free.
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
You have to download the free version, just scroll down near the btm of the page and click on the download button. Install and make your image. You will need to burn a rescue disk so you can recover your image if anything goes wrong especially while your trying to debug your system. One never knows what can happen.

Posted 2 years ago

danbywinby

Well after using my laptop today it certainly seems faster at booting up and chrome is also running faster so thanks guys and germ-x thanks I shall take a look at that later and see what it is like

Danby

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.