The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

slow applications and whirring

(13 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by officgrl
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 2900 times

officgrl

I have recently installed office professional 2007 and since then have noticed lagging computer especially when running applications like firefox, quickbooks and tax software (professional grade). I have been getting a few errors after I lock for the night, today's was exception unknown 0xc000417 for application location 0c005e85de. What is slowing me down and making my hard drive whir? Sometimes I have to do a hard shutdown because all of Microsoft locks up completely.

Any ideas????

Posted 3 years ago

vistual
vistual

hey officgrl,
how much ram do you have installed ?
to check - go to start menu > right click my computer > select properties
If you do not have enough RAM to load your open applications, you will have a very slow PC that will not be able to run your applications properly.

Posted 3 years ago

officgrl

1.99GB Ram 2.99 GHz running Office xp version 2002 sp3

Posted 3 years ago

vistual
vistual

that amount of RAM for XP is pretty decent.

post back with the make and model of the computer .....
someone might be able to advise on how to check if the HDD is failing.
ive seen it mentioned a few times here - hopefully someone will chime in to let you know.

in the meantime .....
Perform disk error checking in Windows XP by running Chkdsk.
(Chkdsk.exe) is a command-line tool that checks volumes for problems

Posted 3 years ago

officgrl

Thanks for the tip, I ran checkdisk before installing, but will do so again in case I picked something up.

Computer info:

Dell Optiplex 210L
Intel (R) Pentium(R)
4 CPU 3.00 GHz
2.99 GHz 1.99 GB RAM

Posted 3 years ago

vistual
vistual

download and run Speccy to get the info for your hard drive and google to see if theres some kind of diagnostic tool available for it.

on a side note have you run scans to check for any viruses / malware ?

standby as im sure youll get more educated suggestions soon.

abou the whirring sound - this might be silly but did you make sure there isnt a disc in the disc drive

Posted 3 years ago

vistual
vistual

i forgot to mention, if you do run speccy - post back what might be showing for temperatures.

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Get What's My Computer Doing or What's Running and look to see what is actually going on, both programs active and who is doing what and connected where.

With that, maybe we can figure it out?

If you do see something suspicious or not needed, open Task Manager and kill that process, see if it helps. Once identified, we could probably know more.

Also, try isolating where the whirling is coming from? It could be a fan speeding up, so put your ear to the system or open the case to identify the source of the whirling?

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

officgrl

Ok, ran What's My Computer Doing - it's doing a lot the whole time, I do always have a few programs going all the time (Outlook, Excel, Internet Exp, Firefox - music), but also have BitDefender, Spybot and Java running every 2-3 seconds.

When I open quickbooks, I get QBDBMgr.exe - Program Closed Hard Disk (4 seconds) Processor (4 seconds ago) in red, I have 3-4 of these before it actually opened.

It seems everytime something is running, BitDefender is constantly scanning and updating??? I have so many things going, but nothing seems overly suspicious, just a very busy little hard drive.

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Uh, BitDefender could be the cause of your problem. Check these two sites out...

One from Bit Defender, http://news.bitdefender.com/NW.....issue.html, some problems, but mostly for 64 bit OS's it seems.

Another one, I'm listing it here, http://bitdefender-sucks.blogs.....oblem.html, it is sort of old and it seems it is like your problem, but I would put too much weight on it myself.

Have you checked the settings for Bit Defender? I've never used it, but it might have scan settings and intervals you could adjust? Some A/V's have settings for d/l's, installs (writing of a file), and opens. Many times the OPENS are not really needed. If checked when installed or d/l'ed, and if you had a virus, the memory function would catch it, maybe OPEN isn't really needed. Try changing some settings and see if that helps at least, if you can?

Have you tried contacting Bit Defender on this?

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

officgrl

Okay, and so the saga goes...

I did contact Bitdefender and also removed all other virus scans as they swear it is because they all compete. I have turned auto updates to do it nightly. It still updates every few seconds, ......they say that I can't help it. It seems that there are so many updates running that every so often (15-45 minutes) the cpu is at 100%. Some of the things that are updating are Windows wuauclt.exe and a Quickbooks update (even though I turned off auto update).

Thanks for all of your help. I don't know if there is anything else that can be done. :(

Posted 3 years ago

vistual
vistual

"and also removed all other virus scans "
1. more than one anti virus program (depending what they are sometimes ) will cause conflict and poor performance.

"It seems that there are so many updates running that every so often (15-45 minutes) the cpu is at 100%"
2. you can most likely configure how and when these programs check for updates.
research a little on the programs that you have installed that you use most often and configure them to check for updates a way that wont cause all the ruckus.

Posted 3 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

As mentioned above Bit Defender just might be your problem. We all have different apps running at one time but if your hdd light is almost steady on and you are updating every 15-45 minutes this is reason for concern. Can you disable bit defender for a while ( disconnect form internet), check and see if you are running any scans. This will make your hdd light stay on. You have plenty of system to run office without bogging down. Give some thought into unstalling office and see if performance improves. Did you have an earlier version of office that you uninstalled completely? This can cause conflicts. When my AVG is scanning I notice a slight difference and it updates twice daily. The other option is get AV protection that you can control. Call Bit Defender back and complain and ask just them how to set update occurances.

g-x

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!