The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Skydrive now with 25GB storage space!!

(12 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by madmacs
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 1235 times

madmacs

Hi all, not exactly sure when M/S changed the storage space from 5 to 25 GB but I´d thought I´d let everyone know. Matt

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Well it seems MS does sometimes splash out a bit (for it's users).

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

I still have a 50MB per file upload limit. All of that space sounds impressive until you realize that you can't easily upload anything large. Chopping a large file into smaller chunks is too much hassle. The standard upload page only takes 4 files and you have to pick them one at a time.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Give 'em time. They have to invent hyperdrive first.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs

@ScottW, I know what you mean the 50MB limit, it is a pain. Although I don´t find RARing too much of a hassle for big files, it´s just time consuming uploading them all.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Pull the HD and put it in your (Bank Lock Box) off site if the files are that important.
HDs, are inexpensive and easily switched out every week or so.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs

lol Rick, well I suppose it would be a safer way of storing!!

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

That's what we do with important stuff.
Also we burn R/W CDs backups and they are stored off site as well.
Be darn putting something on a server in a "cloud" for average folks.
Use to bury stuff in the back yard but that got paved over. (LOL) (LOL) (LOL)
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Who said anything about the files being important? For any that are >50 MB, you have to archive them in little chunks, upload each individual one, then anyone who wants to download them has to get all the little pieces and unarchive them. Just a pain in the butt. I'm not up for pulling out a hard drive and mailing it to someone.

It would be like going to a storage warehouse and they say: you can get 300 square feet of free storage, but only 3 sq ft at a time! :-(

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

I see now.
It's an MS non secure file sharing social site of some kind.
My Bad.
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Rick, it's a convenient place to upload stuff that does not go on e.g. Photobucket. It takes any file. But I also ran into the 50GB limits with this file and with this file. They both together are the Benny Goodman Carnegy Hall concert of 1938 - the famous first Jazz concert in Carnegy Hall. If you like this kind of music, you can download it. But it takes a while because of the size. But just the title "Sing, Sing, Sing" is worth it.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

@whs,
Yes, I jumped in thinking of (Off Site Secure Storage Backup or Archive).
Am so use to uploading to my own websites if need be, forgot about the other public sites.
I have ear phones on most of the time so I'll check out the links in your post right away.
As I said, My Bad. :( :(
Best Regards & Thanks,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.