The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

(Solved) - Site does not load properly.

(5 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by TresChikon
  • Latest reply from TresChikon
  • Topic Viewed 1805 times

TresChikon

I can still go to the site, but a lot of the elements are heavily skewed and warped. If I disable my hosts, then I can see the site normally.

This is how it looks when I load HTG:

My host file is set up to block a range of addresses and one of those addresses being blocked is important in loading the How-To-Geek website properly.

I've tried the obvious and added howtogeek.com to the exclusions list, but no dice. I would really appreciate it if someone could produce a list of what addresses How-To Geek needs to properly load or even better, teach me how to use CMD to find out.

Thank you in advance.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

IMHO Host files have outlived their usefulness. I dislike them primarily because someone else has decided what I am allowed to see and it often prevents me from properly viewing sites I know are secure. I put in my hosts file only those sites I know for a fact are ones I do not want to see. If you feel the need to restrict your viewing join a site like OpenDNS which allows you to block all kinds of things. To solve your problem simply remove your hosts file. Your other security like Antivirus and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free will suffice.

Posted 2 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

The problem is that you're blocking http.cdnlayer.com which is NOT an ad server. It's a Content Delivery Network, which speeds up loading of images on the site.

As it turns out, the overly paranoid people that run those hosts file sites decided to add that to the list. One of them already removed it, and I contacted the second, who removed it from their file as well. Sadly people don't update these hosts files very often.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

As a related note, I've gotten dozens of emails about this over the last month.

Posted 2 years ago

TresChikon

@The Geek

Beautiful! I added the exclusion to my list and the site loads perfectly! Thanks a lot.

@Xhi

Thanks for the response!

I do use OpenDNS! In fact I've been using it in conjunction with the host file since '08. However, since OpenDNS is more on blocking adult-related and shady sites, I find that it can't sufficiently block every ad server as they come up.

Therefore, I use 'Hostsman,' a program that updates my host file according to whatever list I would like. One list that I particularly enjoy is the 'RickRoll' list that prevents me from getting Rick Rolled. The program keeps my host file up to speed so that I never see ads or annoying web elements. If however, one site is messed up like in my case right now, I could use hostsman to disable the hosts (which I have no idea how to do otherwise :3) or add an exclusion if I know the exact address that I need to unblock.

Oh and I don't use any AV or anti-malware program because I like livin' life on the edge :3

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.