The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

simple desktop dock

(13 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by 0zSpitt
  • Latest reply from 0zSpitt
  • Topic Viewed 1557 times

0zSpitt

can anyone find a simple desktop dock, something like rocket dock, that can be installed easily on ubuntu? other than getting emerald to launch and finding a dock that doesn't take einstein to figure out how to install i've figured everything out that i need. ive lived in the forums for two weeks, they don't explain things thoroughly if at all.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y

Posted 6 years ago

0zSpitt

i think kiba you needed to write 50 lines of commands and give up your first born. but the cube looked like desktop cube. i do remember seeing a beryl setting in it now. thanks scott :)

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

goto add/remove then search for simdock i think that is what you are looking for

Posted 6 years ago

0zSpitt

could that be in the synaptic packages too?

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ya most likely but they are mainly the same though just that the package manager has every thing and the other doesn't

Posted 6 years ago

gaurang

oh.. there is one dock .. its called CAIRO .... i bet its better then any other docks available for ubuntu ....

in synaptic manager .. search for CAIRO .. and install it ...

its really nice application ..

Posted 6 years ago

0zSpitt

cairo is one of the programs that wouldn't download because it wanted me to change something in my preferences

Posted 6 years ago

gaurang

i guess... it will be just some other files that it need to run ...

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

are you doing this from the package manager? if you are then i think that you will need to goto settings>repositories> then change server to the main server and not us or whatever yours says and then i think that may be it

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

cairo is a graphics library that programs use. The dock program is named cairo-dock.
Thus you would look for cairo-dock in the package manager for the dock program.

Posted 6 years ago

gaurang

err... i guess , my hands type faster then my thoughts ... hehehe ... ur right jd2066 ... cairo is just a graphical library which will be installed along with cairo dock , i guess ....

ya.. better search for " cairo dock " ... its there in synaptic manager ...

Posted 6 years ago

0zSpitt

i only have cairo-clock in the synaptic manager. i'm using awn but it doesn't permanantly dock things unless i have a program open. it's no big deal, i'm doing 20 things at once anyway. anyone have the link to the irc chatroom for ubuntu? it was posted to me on lifehacker and i can't find it now.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.