How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Simple audioplayer

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by SarahJames
  • Latest reply from GuiltySpark
  • Topic Viewed 557 times

SarahJames
SarahJames

In a recent topic we came to talk about mediaplayers.
Now I was wondering if you can help me to a small portable audioplayer (just to play mp3, wav and mid files, maybe aac and wma too).
Preferably one with a very clean interface (play, stop pause will do it ;D).

Edit: but with a bit of a Vista / aero look to it ;)

Posted 1 year ago

hatryst
hatryst

The last thing puzzled me. Do you need something with a screen? (Vista/aero look?)

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Isn't VLC portable ?

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Well, I need something to start play, stop and pause :)
I was thinking something like the minimized view of windows media player, but without all the bells and whistles added to it.
It's just that I use WinAmp to play my internet radio and sometimes a voicemail comes in or I have to check a single sound file and I don't want to mess up my WinAmp settings.
So at the moment I use VLC to play those files, but it has the nasty habbit of cutting off the last bit of the soundfile.
And I use VLC to play videos on my large screen (I don't use full screen, but keep my icons, sidebar and taskbar visible - other than that it covers the lot LOL).
So when I am working on things and need to listen to a voicemail I have this huge black screen in front of me.

LH suggested SPlayer and it looks pretty good as an alternative, but it is still quite bulky and I only need to play the occasional sound file.

Edit: GS, we posted at the same time ;)
And I already use VLC ^

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Haven't tried it but looks interesting, Audacious : http://alternativeto.net/software/audacious/about/

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Looks a lot like WinAmp. Nice but over the top for my purpose ;)

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

This is probably the simplest I can find that will play all of (or virtually) the files you're asking : http://www.softpedia.com/get/M.....Xion.shtml

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Googling hard there for me, are you, GS? :)
It's not something I need urgently or desperately - I was just wondering if someone had experience with one app or the other and could recommend anything ;)

But now I'm at it I'll give some of them a go and post back what I like best.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Another one for you, really basic : http://www.pickleplayer.com/examples/

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Found Xion and when using this skin or this one it is everything I've been looking for :)

With 3.75 MB it is quite small and the interface allows me to play the file and stop it and replay all of it or just a part (handy when listening to a voicemail and I didn't catch the name of the caller or the telephonenumber) and it's just a tiny bar on my screen.
Love it :)))

Edit: Thanks for your effort, GS :)

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Yay.

No probs :)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!