The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Shutdown

(56 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by tsmith777
  • Latest reply from tsmith777
  • Topic Viewed 1046 times

tsmith777

I am running a Dell 8500 with win 7 desktop and everytime I shut it down or restart it I get a screen that says waiting for XXX program(s) to close, and then I have to hit Force restart or Force shut down, this started about a week ago, anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

1. Hold Winkey+R

2. Type msconfig hit Enter

3. Select Start Up tab and uncheck everything except AV

4. Restart machine.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Guilty. there were only two items checked in the start up tab on msconfig, SAS and MSC, I unchecked SAS and restarted and it does the same thing, Force restart. I also ran autoruns and under the boot execute there is nothing.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.mscsoftware.com/ Is this the MSC you refer to above? If it is why not disable it at startup also?

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Sorry for the error, it was Microsoft Security Essentials, MSE

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

What is running in your Task Manager ?

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Just the programs that I have open.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Can you post a pic of your processes in Task Manager and your Non MS Services in msconfig.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Guilty, I am a novice, how do I do that?

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=8

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Guilty I signed in, I already have a photobucket account, I read the tutorial but don't know how to get the task manager in there to copy it for HTG? I am going to have to leave for a couple of hours, please post your comments and I'll get back later, Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

You can use the Snipping tool in your Accessories folder --- start menu --- accessories.

When prompted just click one corner of your Task Man. and drag it to the opposite corner untill you have a complete pic.

Then Save As "your pic name here.png/jpg".

Find where you saved it to (which folder you saved it in) and upload to Photobucket.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I did as you said but cannot upload it to photobucket, I must be really stupid but when I open photobucket there i no way to drag it to photobucket when I click upload. Sorry

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Maybe this tutorial will be easier to follow...

How to post a picture on HTG:

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=25

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Hermitt, your link to whs's tutorial is great, but I still do not understand how photobucket works. There is no folder with my name on it or "New Album", I am signed in to photobucket. Can you explain it better? I know I am stupid.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I ran chkdsk c:/r thinking it might fix the problem, it did replace several bad clusters but did not help this problem. Maybe I am just too old to be doing this stuff.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

I bet your not too old. Start all over again. If you have an account for Photobucket as you say you are part way there. Your missing a step or just not following a step. Take time to read everything.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I finally got the folder and named it task manager, but how do I get the task manager into that folder?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

1. Create your account at http://photobucket.com/ - real easy
2. Use the folder with your name on it or create a subfolder (recommended). You do that on the left side where it says "New Album" > Save
3.Go to "Upload Images and Videos", somewhere in the middle. Now click on "Choose Files". This will most likely bring up your "Pictures" folder (but you can select another folder). Double click on the file you want to upload. After a few seconds you will see it. Now single click on your picture. On top of the picture you will see “Resize”. The best size to pick is 640X480.
4. If you want to post this picture directly on the Forum, click on IMG Code (last link), then right click on that and COPY. If you only want to post the link to the picture, click on Direct link, then right click and COPY. Then you got it in your clipboard (from where you Paste).
5. Now you can paste this into your posting. If you chose IMG, the picture will only show up AFTER you posted. In the posting you will only see the link. If you chose "Direct link", it will just be a link.

Start with step three.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

When I click on Public Folders it says unresponsive, also when I try to resize I cannot.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!