How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Shut Down & Task Manager dissapeard in vista

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by psyder
  • Latest reply from supermansghost
  • Topic Viewed 2933 times

psyder

Hey people , i have a pretty big problem , this is the second time it happend

I bought an Acer 5920G laptop and it had some useless software on it , so i uninstalled most of it , only what i need remained , did some slight performance modifications that (those from http://mostlysavingmoney.com/2.....ed-tweaks/) and the usuall , turning off system recovery , auto updates ,etc .But out of the blue , after installing some partition software , the system needid a reeboot , after windows was fully loaded the start menu didnt have the shut down menu anymore . also the task manager doesnt appear in the ctrl+alt+del menu . And other minor crap .. but i think that's enough for now .
This is the second time it happend , the first time i didnt install no partition software , no major tweaks like on that website and it still did it . And also , in safe mode these options are missing .

what am i doing wrong to get here????

if you need more info , just post
thanks alot
psy

Posted 6 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

First, you should leave System Restore enabled because you can undo problems like this.

To re-enable task manager, open regedit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System and change the value of DisableTaskMgr to 0 and DisableLockWorkstation to 0

then:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
and change the value of Noclose and NoLogOff to 0

Posted 6 years ago

psyder

yeah well , i don't have the run option either .. it's like they werent there in the 1st place , and + most programs i try to install are giving errors .
it's like i was a user with restricted access

Posted 6 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

Can you open up a command prompt in administrator mode? You could run regedit from there.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!