The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Shockwave Flash on Google Chrome - revive discussion

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by WilliamLongland
  • Latest reply from StringJunky
  • Topic Viewed 9448 times

WilliamLongland

I have been getting Shockwave Flash crashes. I found the 'How-to Geek' discussion on this topic (January 2012) and followed the 'How to Fix' advice by finding the plug-in list for my computer. As anticipated, I found 'Flash (2 files)'. However, both of them appear to be part of a Google Chrome bundle, but as different versions:

Flash (2 files) - Version: 11.3.31.222
Shockwave Flash 11.3 r31
Name: Shockwave Flash
Description: Shockwave Flash 11.3 r31
Version: 11.3.31.222
Location: C:\Documents and Settings\William Longland\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\21.0.1180.60\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll
Type: PPAPI (out-of-process)
Disable

MIME types: MIME type Description File extensions
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash .swf

application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player .spl

Name: Shockwave Flash
Description: Shockwave Flash 11.3 r300
Version: 11,3,300,268
Location: C:\Documents and Settings\William Longland\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\21.0.1180.60\gcswf32.dll
Type: NPAPI
Disable

MIME types: MIME type Description File extensions
application/x-shockwave-flash Adobe Flash movie .swf

application/futuresplash FutureSplash movie .spl

Disable Always allowed?

What do I do now? Go for the more up-to-date verision of Flash and disable the other one - in which case, which is the more up-to-date version? Help please!

William Longland

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://techlogon.com/2011/08/1.....le-chrome/ Read this it should help.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Nice find Warlock.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Thanks Xhi, hope OP gets some help from it.

Posted 1 year ago

WilliamLongland

Thank you, Warlock. I followed the advice given for '2 versions' (Chrome and Pepperflash), and disabled the Pepperflash one. I hope it works!

Posted 1 year ago

Sopheira

I found the articles and solutions of great help in guiding me to a resolution. While I was getting the "shockwave has crashed" error, I found that my conflict was on a different tangent which has not been mentioned here. I keep skype call as a plan b *cell phones die kinda thing" .. I noticed that when shockwave crashed, within about 30 minutes so would the skype call plugin for chrome {Skype Click to Call - Version: 6.3.0.11079 (Disabled)
Skype Click to Call for Chrome} .. I disabled the skype plugin, reenabled flash, and haven't had a problem since ..

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

You won't have flash problems with Comodo Dragon and it is much more robust in security than G/Chrome as well:

http://www.comodo.com/home/bro.....rowser.php

Thanks for the heads up though, if someone really needs to use GC it might help them. :)

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!