The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Sharing Windows 7, Vista and XP

(2 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by leok
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 589 times

The article "Share files and printers between Windows 7 and XP" on this site, though impressive and promising to solve
my problem, has turned out to have feet of clay. The article's recommendations relate to Windows 7 x64 RC1, from which
Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate apparently sprung (?).

I have Windows 7 Home Premium, which, as with Vista Basic and XP Home, has limited or no workgroup capabilities. I also
have a machine with Vista Basic and one with XP Professional, to which a printer is attached. I am trying to share files and
the printer, but following the instructions in the article has not succeeded in enabling sharing.

My question is: are the limited versions of Windows 7 and Vista which I have, capable of the sharing I want? Or are they so
crippled deliberately that there's no chance of the sharing's being possible, unless I upgrade to the full versions?

Posted 5 years ago

General advice for all.
If one has the means, Never purchase Home or Starter editions of any MS Software.
One will just end up purchasing another Full Featured Edition later on.
The same goes for machines with built-in restore editions on a HD partition.
If one has the means, go ahead and purchase a Full Installation DVD Edition because sooner or later one will need that also for machine repairs.
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.