The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Sharing Windows 7, Vista and XP

(2 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by leok
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 589 times

leok

The article "Share files and printers between Windows 7 and XP" on this site, though impressive and promising to solve
my problem, has turned out to have feet of clay. The article's recommendations relate to Windows 7 x64 RC1, from which
Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate apparently sprung (?).

I have Windows 7 Home Premium, which, as with Vista Basic and XP Home, has limited or no workgroup capabilities. I also
have a machine with Vista Basic and one with XP Professional, to which a printer is attached. I am trying to share files and
the printer, but following the instructions in the article has not succeeded in enabling sharing.

My question is: are the limited versions of Windows 7 and Vista which I have, capable of the sharing I want? Or are they so
crippled deliberately that there's no chance of the sharing's being possible, unless I upgrade to the full versions?

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

leok,
---
General advice for all.
---
If one has the means, Never purchase Home or Starter editions of any MS Software.
---
One will just end up purchasing another Full Featured Edition later on.
---
The same goes for machines with built-in restore editions on a HD partition.
---
If one has the means, go ahead and purchase a Full Installation DVD Edition because sooner or later one will need that also for machine repairs.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.