The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Sharing files between XP and Win 7 on Homegroup

(3 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by tzetah
  • Latest reply from tzetah
  • Topic Viewed 2158 times

tzetah

I linked computers just fine, Win 7 computer see's and allows sharing with XP system but XP system does see Win 7 machine but won't allow sharing of files even though it shows the folders are shared. Says I don't have permission to access folders. Do I need to be in Administrator mode to do this?

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Homeroup is a new special W7 only thing. Can't put an XP machine in a Homegroup.

Are you talking about a home network? Private Network, not a W7 Homegroup? If so, this DOCUMENT should be all you need to do, although it is for Vista, the steps are the same.

I suspect your problem is account set-up on the W7 machine.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

tzetah

Thanks for the info Irv S., The computers are a friend of mine and She is away for awhile so I won't be able get back to it until next week. I'll keep you posted. By the way the two computers are on a Home Network and both in the same Homegroup. The Win 7 computer see's and will share the folders and files just fine. The problem is with the XP machine, but it also sees the Win 7 files and folders, just gives me an error about access due to permissions. I believe I have to go into the users and check the permissions there and than add them to the win 7 machine. I used to do this stuff all the time when working but I've gotten a little rusty. Thanks.
Ted

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.