The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Sharing external drive in Win7

(2 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Fuzzmaster
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 717 times

Fuzzmaster

I'm trying to access the external drive (which is on my win7 machine) from my other machines on my home network. One is XP and one is Vista (don't ask). Both can see the drive on the network, but when I try to open it I'm told I don't have permission.

I have set the drive to "full access" as instructed in another post with no luck. Drive is set to "share" in Win 7, permissions= "full control" for "everyone".

What am I missing??

Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Fuzzmaster, hello. The group called "everyone" in Windows 7 means every user that has a valid login account on this system. So, to access that shared drive you either need to login using an account on the Windows 7 system or use the same user credentials on the other systems.

In XP or Vista, when you select the remote system from "My Network Places" or from Network, you should get a login prompt where you would put in your username and password for the Windows 7 system.

Alternately, if you create an account in Vista with the same username, password, and Workgroup as an account on the Windows 7 system, you can access the Windows 7 shares with no additional login required when using that account. This might also work in XP, but I'm not sure.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!