The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Sharing between windows 7 and xp

(12 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by steveg2a
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 4385 times

steveg2a

Hi. I would like to be able to share a 120GB toshiba external usb hard drive on my home network. It is connected to my windows 7 laptop. I want to be able to share the drive with an xp desktop computer. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Steve

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Steve, you can share the external drive over the network, if that's what you mean. You could also share the drive between the two systems by alternately connecting it to the USB port of each.

Posted 5 years ago

steveg2a

Do you know how to share the hard drive between windows7 and xp?
The problem is, the xp computer does not recognize the usb device. So, I need to hook it up to the network.

Steve

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

If the XP system can't recognize the device, then you need to leave it connected to the Windows 7 system and share it over the network. In Win7, share the whole drive, then in XP find the Win7 system in My Network Places. You will probably have to login to an account on your Win7 system to access the drive. Also, it helps a lot if both systems are in the same workgroup.

Posted 5 years ago

steveg2a

I have done all that but, the problem now is giving full access to xp. The xp user can't delete or modify files.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

When you share the drive in Windows 7, you need to set the permissions in Advanced Sharing so that the user or users you select will have "Full Control". The user(s) must have an account on the Windows 7 system.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I just tested this and it works as expected.

Posted 5 years ago

steveg2a

OK, thanks

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Steve, did you get it working?

Posted 5 years ago

steveg2a

Yeah I did. Thanks.

Posted 5 years ago

Fuzzmaster

I've got pretty much the same problem. I', trying to access the external drive (which is on my win7 machine) from my other machines on my home network. One is XP and one is Vista (don't ask). Both can see the drive on the network, but when I try to open it I'm told I don't have permission.

I have set the drive to "full access" as instructed above with no luck. Drive is set to "share" in Win 7, permissions= "full control" for "everyone".

What am I missing??

Thanks.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

Fuzzmaster, Hi. Please start your own New Topic with your problem. Thanks.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.