The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Sharing a Printer on a Windows Vista PC

(3 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by kstessier
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 1994 times

kstessier

I have a laptop running on Windows Vista connected to a Epson Stylus CX9400 Fax printer via USB connectiuon. I have a wireless network with two other desktop PC's running with Windows XP. I can print from these two XP PC's to the Epson shared printer connected to the Vista laptop. I have another laptop running on Ubuntu version 8.04 and trying to set this Ubuntu PC up with the shared printer. When I follow the instructions to add a printer for network printing the Ubuntu PC finds the network WORKGROUP/STYEVE-PC but will not print to the shared printer., My settings say:

Device URL: smb//workgroup/steve-pc
Make & Model: Epson Stylus CX9400-CUPS+gutenprint v5.0.2 Simplified
Printer State: Processing
Default Printer: This is the default printer

When I try to print the print screen has selected the Epson Stylus CX9400
Status: Unable to connect to CIFS host' will try again in 60 seconds

FYI, when I connect the Epson USB cable directly to the Umbuntu laptop its prints, so I assume the Umbuntu machine recognizes the Epson drivers.

Can someone help me connect to this shared printer?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

kstessier, hello. I have done this before, but don't have such a setup right now. I think that you will need some extra steps to cross the Linux/Windows boundary. Either Ubuntu needs to know that it is printing to a Windows system, or you need the Vista system to run an LPD queue so that Ubuntu will see it as just an LPR device. In WinXP, there was a Unix Print Service that could be added like this:
http://iharder.sourceforge.net.....ter/#step4

For Vista, try these instructions shown at TechNet:
http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....31857.aspx

Finally, it looks as if you might be running Samba (smb) on Ubuntu. Is that how you planned to share the printer? Do you have Samba on the Vista PC?

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@ScottW: samba is designed to talk to Windows clients without extra software.
samba uses LPD or CUPS to provide printer sharing. Windows XP and up can directly talk to a CUPS server so samba isn't really needed for printing unless you want to use special features like network browsing for the printer or domain authentication or need to let Windows 9X clients access it.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!