The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Share XP Disk Drive with Windows 7 on Workgroup

(4 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by vsjc
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 4760 times

vsjc

I have a workgroup and want to be able to access the DVD drive of the XP machine from my Windows 7 machine. On the XP machine, named MyXPBox I right click the drive and do Sharing --> Share the folder on the network and name it MyDrive. Now I go to Windows 7 and see it listed as \\MyXPBox\MyDrive. However, when I click it I get the message:
"Windows cannot access \\MyXPBox\MyDrive. You do not have permission to access \\MyXPBox\MyDrive. Contact your network administrator to request access."
The same thing happens if I turn off XP's Windows Firewall, and also if I access MyXPBox using its IP address.
Any ideas?
By the way, why am I doing this? I'm exploring getting a Netbook and read that they don't come with disk drives, so I thought this would be an easy way to install s/w onto it. I'm doing a test ahead of time using my current Win7 laptop.
Thanks!

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

The easy answer first.

For Netbooks you'll have to transfer the program you want to install to it, either by a network connection or a flash drive. I suspect there will be cases where this will not or can't work. In some program install cases you'll probably have to burn and ISO image of a CD/DVD and then run that image in a virtual drive even. Some copy protected games might not work this way either.

The DVD drive is a permissions problem. The Vista machine doesn't have the proper permissions on the XP machine to 'get in'. Generally speaking, if you have GUEST enabled as a USER on the XP machine, it should be accessible. Take a look at this article, it should help, and in your case, use EVERYONE in the permissions and grant full access.

Since you say you can see the share, I'll assume you've installed Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder. If not, you'll need that too from MicroSoft probably.

For a more complete list of things to do to fix this problem, please see this LINK.

Irv S.

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Oops, I used Vista above. Should be Win7, but the links will work for Win7 as well as Vista. Sorry.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Come on Irv, use the Edit button :)

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!