SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Share by the root XP style. But access to folders on drive denied.

(11 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Plakata1
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 1700 times

Plakata1

I'm sorry if this is an old one for you guys. But I just can't figure this out for myself.

Hello!

I have somewhat of a problem.
I just bought 3 computers from HP with win 7 home (danish version, so if I lack correct terminology, that is why) pre-installed.

I hooked all 3 PCs up to my existing network, and they were online right away, with IP assigned by the DHCP-server in my router. I managed to get my HP 7310 network printer installed on all 3 machines, and they all print, they all access the internet. They all see each other in 'network' along with my printer.

Summa Summarum: My network is working perfect.
The PCs are named:

PC-1
PC-2
PC-3

I've started a homegroup on PC-1, and I've joined this homegroup with PC-2 and PC-3, choosing to share documents, video, pictures, multimedia, the works.

BUT: What I really wish to do, is this:
The D-drive on each machine is a harddrive. I have a folder on each drive, on each machine.

I want to share the D-drive by the root, on all 3 machines, and on each machine have shortcuts on the desktop to the folder on the D-drive on the two other machines.

This is what I have done:
Computer -> properties for D-drive on every machine -> sharing -> advanced sharing -> mark up 'share this folder' -> permissions -> mark up full control for everyone -> ok -> ok -> security -> group 'everyone' -> full control -> ok.

This is what I can do:
From PC-1 I can access \\PC-2\d\folder and \\PC-3\d\folder without any problems at all.
From PC-2 I can access \\PC-1\d\ and \\PC-3\d\ and see the folder on the network shared drive, but when I try to access folder, I get the error message: \\PC-X\d\folder\ is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
The same thing goes for PC-3

For home and public network is network discovery turned on
For home and public network is file- and printer sharing turned on
For home and public network is password protected sharing turned off

This goes for all machines.

I have had an external USB harddrive connected to PC-1 and shared from the root via computer -> properties for the external drive -> sharing -> advanced sharing -> mark-up share this folder -> ok

This enabled me to access the external drive from both PC-2 and PC-3, to see the entire directory structure and use the disc like an old fashioned XP share.

This is what I would like to achieve by sharing the D-drives on all three machines. Simple as that.

It really puzzles me that PC-1 can access PC-2 and PC-3 just like I want it to; that is, see the root of the drive, and access the folder, but PC-2 and PC-3 can only access the root of the drive, see the contents, but not access the folder.

I will stop explaning now, if I haven't made myself clear yet, I never will :)

Sorry about any grammar-failure and spelling errors - I'm from Denmark and not native in English.

Regards
Plakata1

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610

Welcome to HTG! HP machines in my experience have a Recovery Partition that shows up as a D: hard drive. If these are 10GB or so on yours, then that's what they must be, and you don't want to share between machines. It is on each one as an inbuilt method of restoring your computer to like new (factory built) state. Post back with the size of those D: drives, before you change attibutes, etc.

Posted 4 years ago

ian2

Plakata1: Here is a guide to follow,it was written for Vista but works the same for windows 7
Share Root Drive .

Posted 4 years ago

Plakata1

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, it is true what you say - HP computers comes pre-installed with a lot of useless space- and CPU-consuming software, and lot of it is nothing but trial software. Unfortunately it was my boss who just bought them, without consulting me because he thought he got a good offer, and yes if you sense that I am kind of girlish I can confirm that - I AM a little insulted by the fact that since I was out of the building for a few days, it apperently was too much of an effort for him to call me on my phone, turned on 24/7. Haha.

Well, now I'm stuck with a tiny department of our whole infrastructere, making a tiny 10-pages publication once a month, that badly needs filesharing in their workflow. And I wanted to keep it simple.

The thing is, when I got the computers I got rid of all the HP crap (pardon my french), all the limited time software, ect. Then I installed the software I wanted and needed, eg. removed the 60 days Norton Antivirus trial and installed Avast Pro, MS office 2007 etc.

Finally, I deleted the restore partion with Easeus Partition Manager, and did a total re-partitioning, re-sizeing the 600 GB C-drive to a 100 GB C-drive, and made a 500 GB partion labeled D:

At the end of this operation I made a complete system image backup with Acronis True Image of each machine and stored the images on an external harddrive, and of course, our server.

I'm quite sure I'm going to get this to work - after all, it's my job, but for now I just don't see what is wrong. And that is actually pretty disturbing to me. I usually work with NTFS permissions on servers. Heh. And then I can't figure a simple filesharing out? What the F ... ?

Again and again my mind goes over the fact that all three machines have exactly the same settings in the whole 'network area', and PC-1 will connect to PC-2 and PC-3 - not just see the computer, but TO the shared drive, access the drive, and access the folder on the drive. And the two other machines, set up the exact same way, will see the other machines on the network, see the shared drive, access the drive (and see the folder), but will not have permisson to access the folder.

I just don't get it.

But maybe it's time I go to bed. It's half past 8 in the morning in Denmark, and I have been up all night, just reading about filesharing in Win 7. Haha.
Well, thank you for your answer, but as you see, even though initially it would have been correct, does not apply to my current situation.

Again I apolegize for any grammar- and spelling errors.

Regards,
Plakata

Posted 4 years ago

Plakata1

Ian2 -> Thank you very much. I will definitely take a closer look at your link, and see if it will solve the problem. It looks promising - I hope it will work.

However, IF it works, I will still wonder 'till the day I die WHY ON EARTH PC-1 will perform the desired operations, and the two others get blocked from accessing folders on the shared drives, while being totally able to see the contents of the root of the drives.

It just does NOT make sense to me.

Well - it's 10 to 9 in the morning. Guess I gotta go to bed if I don't want to die young :D

G'night folks! And thanks!

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610

Ian2, is this a situation where 'taking ownership' would help her.

Posted 4 years ago

ian2

I don't think so GK. I have not found a different way of sharing the root of a drive,other than by the security tab route,
and setting the permissions for Everyone under the sharing tab as is stated in the guide.
Like many things with windows ,there probably is a faster way of doing it,but as of yet I have not found one.

Posted 4 years ago

Plakata1

The problem is solved. I do not know why. I do not think I have done anything other than turning off the computers. I was never promted to do a reboot or log-off, so maybe it was just a missing reboot that was the whole problem.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

ian2 is Correct !!!
---
That is about only tutorial with pictures I've seen on the net.
---
Here is "weak" MS article on how to do it also.
http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....of-a-drive
---
NOTE:
On some network configurations, one must give EVERYONE the same permissioms as System.
There are Inherited and non inherited permissions on some folders and objects also which have to be configured.
Tis tuff to explain without pictures. :( :(

Good work ian2 !!!!
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Plakata1

I actually had everyone in the security tab all along - as stated in my first post.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Have to give EVERYONE permissions with co-ownership of object owner as posted above.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.