How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Several Questions About Linux (ubuntu)

(31 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by gregoryshock125
  • Latest reply from presence1960
  • Topic Viewed 1549 times

presence1960
presence1960

Yeah Rick you know how to make me smile :))))

Posted 1 year ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

Today I Used my old Desktop computer to install Ubuntu to the External Hard Drive. I will Keep you guys updated on how everything is going.

Posted 1 year ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

The installation was successful. I wasn't able to boot up from the External on the Desktop. I didn't try very hard, but it doesn't appear to have a usb boot option in the bios. I connected the external hard drive to my Laptop. Set the Bios accordingly, and booted. I was in Ubuntu 11.10 in no time. The point of putting it on the External hard drive is for learning and experimental purposes. Linux notified me of updates that are available to it. One was to upgrade it to 12.04. I decided to go ahead and try... The result is a crashed External Hard Drive. I'm not sure how to recover this. It seems to me that my options are A) to re attach it to the Desktop and try a Reinstall. Or B) Try and down load 12.04. Either way I think I will need to re attach the External to the Desktop Computer. I don't know what caused the actual Crash. At first it was downloading stuff, next it was ready to install stuff. It was installing when the progress bar disappeared and next all the icons plus the shut down button (Top Right) vanished. I waited a while, and since nothing was happening I didn't know what to do. I held down the PC power button until the system stopped. I thought maybe when I tried to reboot I would have some options. The first try did nothing more then freeze up. The second try gave me the option of booting in safe mode. Since I have yet to learn any Linux commands, I am currently sunk. :(

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I think I posted that already, sorry.

Posted 1 year ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

UpDate:

Mods Please keep this thread open. I may not be able to update this on a daily basis or even weekly basis. But as I learn, I want to keep updating this thread.

I am downloading several different versions of Linux. I will make some Linux DVDs from them, and then I will try putting one on the External and see what happens.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

When you 'install' Zorin, you will at first get a bootstrap version. On that desktop it shows an installation DVD. Right click > Open that for the real install. It should be pretty fast.

If you install Zorin in VMware Player (which I highly recommend), you may want to also install the VMware tools to allow full communication between the host system and Zorin - e.g. a shared clipboard which is extremely handy. If you want to do that, post back and I make you a little tutorial on how to do that - it is not that easy but doable.

Posted 1 year ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

That VMware Player looks confusing. It's no good because I would need to try and learn how to do two things at the same time.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

C'mon, this is very simple stuff. What's wrong with learning something new. But it has so many advantages. Double booting Windows and Linux is not for the faint at heart either - in fact it is more complicated than VMware. But it is OK if you want to do it your way. You'll live and learn.

Posted 1 year ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

Duel booting doesn't scare me. Ubuntu at least is very straight forward. But what I am actually doing is, I'm swopping hard drives, so that it is more like I'm running a simple system. The only problem is the installing... In other words I don't have enough money so I am making due with what I have.

Posted 1 year ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

I put every Linux Distro and Versions that I downloaded onto DVDS. I used the Ubuntu 12.04 DVD with my old Desktop and installed it to the External Hard Drive. After I carefully looked over the Bios, I noticed that I could indeed boot from USB. It just wasn't in the list of boot devices as the DVD, Hard Drive etc. I did a test boot and it booted. Next I plugged the External Into my Laptop. I am currently using Ubuntu 12.04 from an External Hard Disk. It seemed to take on the updates ok. So On with the testing. I think I will continue to use this for a while. And then I will erase it and test out the other versions.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

If you want the most stable, longest supported version use 12.04. It is a LTS (Long Term Support). I prefer to never do an inplace upgrade with any OS including Linux. Too many variables that can go wrong. I think it best to do a clean install when upgrading OSs. Dual booting is not as difficult as some want to make it sound.

And I see my directions (I think you used mine) to install to the external and place GRUB in MBR of external have indeed worked just fine and simply as they are made to do. The foul up came when you did an in place upgrade. In software sources you can disable the notification to inform you when a distro upgrade is available.

Now if you have multiple internal hard disks consider this. You can do as you did with the external installation. Make the disk that does not have Windows on it first in hard disk boot order in BIOS. Install Ubuntu to that disk. You will have the same setup as what you have now except that you don't have to play with the boot order to boot either Linux or Windows. And the beauty of this is your windows disk's MBR is untouched and your linux disk's MBR has GRUB. Win-Win for the faint of heart.

That external you had would be able to boot from any BIOS that is capable of booting from USB. I think you have it down now.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.