How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - setup WRT54G wireless router on Window 7

(27 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by LarrySr
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 8074 times

LarrySr
LarrySr

I have been trying to setup a Linksys WRT54G wireless router connected to my Windows 7 PC but I am having problems getting my Windows 7 PC to recognize the WRT54G device. I have been using a Microsoft MN 700 wireless router for years and it is still working fine. I was hoping to get the newer WRT54G connected but have had no luck. Windows 7 still thinks it is talking to a MN 700 wireless router. When i bring up Microsoft Broadband Network Utility it only list the MN 700 as known network devices. Can anyone give me step by step direction on how to correct this problem? Linksys is no help at all. For a lot of money they will consider talking to me about my problem. That is not a viable solution.

Posted 3 years ago

Veegertx
Veegertx

I had one previously and it is in the closet now but found this in my notes
using firmware version WRT54G_4.30.5_US_code.bin

1) Before you start, be sure you are using a PC that is connected to the WRT54G
via a wired (Ethernet) connection.
2) Open your web browser (e.g., Internet Explorer, Netscape, etc.)
3) In the Address bar, type in the IP address of your router. The default IP
address is 192.168.1.1.
4) Leave the username blank and enter your password. The default password is "admin",
all lower case.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

LarrySr,

This didn't help ??
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=5

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

Everyone is telling me how to connect to the WRT54G and I appreciate that. I did that and got into the WRT54G. Now that I am in there what do I do to make Windows 7 see the router? What do I enter and where do I enter it. My internet provider is Bel South which is now ATT. My MN 700 works great but I really would like to use the Linksys WRT54G. Can anyone guide me through this setup?

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

LarrySr,

You need the old Linksys white manual I'm looking at right now.

Let me see if I can find a copy on-line for you.

EDIT:

Enter ONLY number and download USER GUIDE Manual here.
http://www.retrevo.com/search/.....p?page=man

Is your modem a Westell or Motorola and is it setup as a bridge ??

I too am on one the last of the old bellsouth servers so we may live close to each other.

You may E-mail me.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

I already downloaded the Linksys user guide but I guess I am not smart enough to follow what it is telling me to do.
My modem is a Westell. I live in Pleasant Garden, NC. I don't have your e-mail address.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Have to follow my HTG Profile and Click on Wings.

Posted 3 years ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

raphoenix; I sent you an e-mail.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Larry,

Received :) :)

Sent one back.

Will be off line Friday but will get back with you tomorrow evening.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

G41M

LarrySr,

Is this the same router in your post that raphoenix linked? The one that came from an auction? If it is, I suggested in that post to reset the router to factory default just to clear up any changes to the router setup made by the original owner which might not be applicable to your setup.Have you tried it?

Posted 3 years ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

G41M; Yes I did reset the router to factory defaults. My computer still does not recognize the router as a WRT54G wireless router. My computer thinks it is a MN 700 router which is the wireless router I have been using for years.

Posted 3 years ago

G41M

I suggest not to use Microsoft Broadband Network Utility since it is programmed for Microsoft products like your MN 700, or better temporarily uninstall the utility (you can always re-install). This might be conflicting/hindering the Linksys configuration.

Also, what do you mean by "...getting my Windows 7 PC to recognize the WRT54G device". Does this mean that when click on the Network icon at the bottom right of the desktop does not show your Linksys or the SSID for the Linksys from the "Wireless Network Connection"?

Posted 3 years ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

There is no way I am going to uninstall the MN 700 software and take the chance that I may be able to get it working again. I cannot take the risk of being without my wireless network. When I am testing the Linksys I disconnect the MN 700 that should be good enough.

When I am testing the Linksys and I bring up the Microsoft Broadband Network Utility it shows the WRT54G as a MN 700. When I open the Windows 7 Network and Sharing Center and try to setup the Internet connection it gives me a 651 error whatever that means. I am convinced that I have some setting within the WRT54G set wrong but so far I have not been able to find out what that is. It also could be something I need to change in the Westell router provided to me by BellSouth (now ATT) for my DSL connection. But if you contact them all they want to do is sell you a new DSL router. They are not interested in working with you to make the one you have work. When I was originally setting up the MN 700 they told me it would not work with the Westell router and I proved them wrong.

Posted 3 years ago

G41M

You don't have to change anything in the Westell modem. What you have to do is configure the WRT54G. You said you have gotten into the WRT54G. You have to configure your router to your Internet Connection Type whether you use DHCP, PPPOe or Static IP and other basic configuration. This will depend on your ISP. Try to follow the manual. The basic setup is all you need this time and then, if you like, later on go to advanced configuration.

If you can't get these information from your ISP. Connect your MN 700 and fire up Microsoft Broadband Network Utility. You might get these information from it.

Posted 3 years ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

G41M;

I have already tried everything you suggested several days ago.

Posted 3 years ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

Still no luck in making this work.

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

You might want to reset the TCP/IP stack? I can't guarantee it will work, but it might be worth a try. Be forewarned, some programs, like A/V's and firewalls will link into the stack and on reset, you might need to activate or even re-install them.

Give it a try if you wish, see HERE.

Feel not up to it, the link has a FIXIT button too.

Can also scan the registry with REGEDIT I guess and look and see if the MN700 is buried in there. Export the item and then delete it and see if that helps. Doesn't, double click on the .REG saved file and put it back.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

To ispalten:

I did a scan of the registry with REGEDIT and found mn-700. I exported it then deleted the entry. I added an entry for the WRT54G that followed the style of the one that was in there for the mn-700. I then restarted my PC. it didn't work so I put the registry back the way it was with the mn-700 entry. At least I got back my mn-700 wireless network. Thanks for the idea but it didn't work.

I had a chat session with LINKSYS and they told me to use the setup program that is on the CD that came with the WRT54G. I told them I purchased this one used at an auction and it did not have the CD. I asked if I could download the setup program and they told me it was not available for download. How do you like that! Nice people aren't they.

Posted 3 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

LarrySr,

Not sure if this is what you are after but take a look at the links on the left hand side : http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/support/WRT54G

Edit: LarrySr that was the wrong link try this : http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/.....38;slnid=2

Posted 3 years ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

To GuiltySpark:

I looked at the link you provided. It tells me to setup my LINKSYS wireless router I must have an active connect to the internet and be connected to my LINKSYS wireless router. That is not possible! I have one Ethernet connection on my computer. The LINKSYS WRT54G wireless router only has Ethernet connections. If I connect to the WRT54G I can not be connected to the internet at the same time. Thanks for trying. I still need the Setup CD.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!