The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - "Setup did not find any hard disk drives"

(15 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by AjhenryVT
  • Latest reply from AjhenryVT
  • Topic Viewed 3553 times

AjhenryVT

I am attempting to install Windows 7 over Windows XP and I am running into the following error message. "Setup did not find any hard disk drives" This seems very similar to the issues discussed for those installing XP over Vista in the following post

Resolving "Setup did not find any hard disk drives" during Windows XP Installation
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....tallation/

However I am moving forward to 7 not back to XP any thoughts on why I am running into this issue on my Toshiba Tablet?

Posted 4 years ago

Fernguy

I would try formatting the hard drive then do a clean install instead of trying to install over a current OS

Posted 4 years ago

AjhenryVT

I am trying to format the hard drive with the Windows 7 install DVD is there another program you suggest?

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

If you do a clean install with Win7 then the install dvd should allow you to reformat your drive.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

AjhenryVT

The issue is that the DVD does not find a drive. Sorry for being difficult.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

AjhenryVT,
---
What exact model motherboard is in the machine ??
---
Have you updated the Bios to the latest version available ??
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

When you start your system does the post screen show a hdd. It should show the make and model and if it is installed as master/ slave. If your post screen blinks too fast hit the pause key to stop it so you can read the info about your drive. If the post doesn't show a drive then suggest you check your cables / connections for your drive. Did this just happen when you tried to upgrade?

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

AjhenryVT,
---
I just re-read your post again.
---
See you have a Toshiba Tablet. (My Bad for Assuming Otherwise)
---
Would be kinda hard to get the model of your motherboard or check drive cables but you do need to check the Toshiba Site for a Bios Update.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Fernguy

Maybe this can help
Toshiba Tablet

Posted 4 years ago

AjhenryVT

Thank yall so much I have been out of town I will try some of this out this week and see how it goes.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

What O/S were you running before your attempt to upgrade to Win7? Were you having any problem with your system not seeing your hdd before this upgrade attempt? Does your BOIS show a hdd?

Posted 4 years ago

kenghosh

Well this problem persists due to a SATA NATIVE MODE which need to be enabled, bcoz when we try installing Xp at any point in time this mode is required to be disabled.So go to the BIOS SET UP UTILITY...locate the SYSTEM CONFIGURATION option and under that ENABLE the SATA NATIVE MODE which would be a listed option and after that if you try installing Win7...Set up would definately find a harddrive and you would be able to install the O/S required.

Posted 4 years ago

AjhenryVT

I have a Toshiba Protege M400, with the latest bio version. I attempted to follow kenghosh's advice however was unable to locate anywhere in the BIOS that allowed me to ENABLE SATA NATIVE MODE. For more information the current Version of Windows XP Tablet is running and recognizes the built in hard drive. I am attempting to install Windows 7 Professional. I appreciate any help anyone can give.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi.....8;sn=false

Posted 4 years ago

AjhenryVT

I downloaded the windows 7 hdd raid drivers from toshiba on another PC. I set the extract location to a folder on the desktop and instructed the self extracting file to NOT run or delete the files after extraction. I then copied the folder to a USB drive. During the install when no hard drive was found I chose to browse for drivers, navigated to the USB drive and selected the folder containing the toshiba windows 7 hdd drivers. Windows then accepted this installed the driver and was able to continue with the install.

This solution is similar to the one given for windows XP except since the Windows 7 install recognizes the USB drive there is no need to slip stream the drivers was was done in the previous post about windows XP.

Thanks everyone for their help. Hopefully this helps someone else one day.

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.