SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - Setting up windows 8 to use a dual hard drive.

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Remp2012
  • Latest reply from presence1960
  • Topic Viewed 4919 times

Remp2012
Remp2012

I just put windows 8 on a family member's computer. I noticed that they had two hard drives in their computer, one for the system and one for everything else, and i have never worked with that before. How so i set up windows 8 to use one drive for the os and the other everything else?

Posted 1 year ago

Remp2012
Remp2012

Please help!

Posted 1 year ago

Remp2012
Remp2012

Bump!

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

You can do it two ways. Go into BIOS and make the hard disk used for Windows first in the hard disk boot order. Then Save Changes in BIOS and reboot off the Windows 8 DVD. Proceed to install windows 8 to the proper disk. I would make note of the disk sizes just to be safe that you choose the right disk to install to.

Or if you aren't comfortable with the above simply disconnect the other hard disk used for data and install windows to the one left connected. When finished installing Windows make sure it boots ok then reconnect the other hard disk. Just make sure you set the windows hard disk up as disk 0 so it will boot with the second hard disk connected. Either method will work, however if inexperienced at partitioning and setting up multiple hard disks the second way is your best bet because you can't mess up or lose data with only one disk (the windows disk) connected for the installation.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

I may have misunderstood your original post. Do you have Windows 8 already installed?

Posted 1 year ago

Remp2012
Remp2012

Yea I set up windows on the computer already basically the second drive is being used as a glorified flash drive. The only reason why I'm asking how to do this is that I have never worked with a computer with two HD's before.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

The hard drive with the OS will be used to install applications and stuff, the second drive would be used for storing Data and the likes. e.g. Music, Photos and Office Stuff etc.
If you look in My Computer you should see two drives there, one will be marked with the OS, I've got two separate drives and one I use for the OS and the other for Storage of all my files and stuff, this way if the OS goes belly up you won't have to worry about all your doc's etc.

Posted 1 year ago

Remp2012
Remp2012

i know that i want to know how to set it up.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

If the two disks are already showing in Windows Explorer it is already set up. Just put files on the "glorified flash disk". All windows system stuff including installed software will automatically go where windows is installed unless you tweak the settings...Maybe I don't understand what you mean by "set it up." Can you be more specific as to what you want to set up?

Posted 1 year ago

Remp2012
Remp2012

well i have heard of people having a small 50gb for just the os and everything else on the other. from what i gathered you would even have your program files on the second drive.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

You can change the default installation directory to another partition/disk like this:

The installation of most software programs are set by default in the Program Files of C:. Below is a method of how to change installation of software into another directory on the same or different partition/disk.

* Select "Run" from the Start menu. If you have Windows 8 hit the Windows key and type run. Select run by hitting Enter.
* Type regedit and click OK.
* Scroll to the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE> Microsoft> Windows> CurrentVersion
* On the right window, double click on the key ProgramFilesDir and modify path in this key to the new path for the installation folder.

If you have a 64 bit version of windows make sure you edit the ProgramFilesDirx86 as well!

Posted 1 year ago

the69rider

Ok listen up because it is real easy,

There are two way to address this issue. The first is to edit the registry for where the user files are stored and/or located. This method is well document in just about every other version of windows so I will not go into it here. If you cannot fine the registry keys via Google, I will look them up and post them to this form later.

The second method is to use the features of the windows library function that appeared in Windows 7 and above. I like this one the best. Created a user folder structure for documents, downloads, music, and pictures. In fact anything you want to organize.

Then using the library features (right click and select properties) delete the original entries and create new one to the corresponding file location on the second hard drive. This works great for the output of the programs one uses. Like documents, music, pictures, and downloads.

I do not suggest using the second drive to install applications. Use the “C” drive to install applications and the second “D” drive to store the documents. Then create a backup image of the “C” drive and store it on an external hard drive in case you ever have to reload.

Then the only stuff you need to back up is the data on the second “D” drive. You only need to create a new system image when you add new software.

If you really want to protect your data, make the second “D” drive a RAID 1 for added protection.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Remp2012
Remp2012

Thanks this helps a lot!

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

I agree with the69rider about keeping keeping applications on C:. However since the OP asked "about putting programs on the other drive I gave one explanation of how to do so. Being a linux user I believe in each user's right to customize as they see fit, even if I would not do such a thing myself.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.