SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

setting up my own computer suggestions anyone?

(9 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by bbdelux
  • Latest reply from plj
  • Topic Viewed 2087 times

bbdelux

putting togheter computer and i have found these thing alredy have motherboard wich works fine with all the other stuff and windows vista 64bit
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.0GHz
- 4GB DDR2 667MHz DIMM
- 500GB 7200RPM S-ATA harddisk
- GeForce 8600GT Dual DVI
- 16X DVD±RW brenner
post comment if you have any suggestions to make it better or something like that

going to use it for gaming is it good enough for the newest games

Posted 6 years ago

Antman

If you're going to be gaming with it why not buy the 8800GT instead? It's doesn't cost that much more than the 8600GT and it is so much better.

EDIT it costs like £50 more here in the UK. Not sure about the US or anywhere else.

Posted 6 years ago

bbdelux

i was actually thinking about changing my cpu and Video card to is this better?
INTEL Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz
GeForce 9600GT 512MB Dual DVI

Posted 6 years ago

bbdelux

after alot of roaming around on this site i made up my mind or so i think i don't really know what is best. maybe the stuff i said first or this so i would love to get some comments.
i am trying to put togher a good gaming computer, wich i don't have to put togher myself becaus i need it working fast, and the last time i tried to pull togheter a computer it became trash. going to try again later when i get more cash and i am probably going to use the geek's advices in how to put togheter a computer

-INTEL Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz
-4GB DDR2 667MHz DIMM
-500GB 7200rpm HarDrive
-GeForce 9600GT 512MB Dual DVI

this stuff with a cab, optical mouse, keyboard and offcours a motherboard(don't really know wich motherboard for around 1000usd don't really want to go for more than 1000usd. The other stuff wich i said at first goes for around 900usd so what do you guys think i should do

sorry for bad english and a lack off , and . im just not a good writer:P

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

You can often find the video card on ebay for much cheaper.... I found an 8800 GT for $98 a while back.

Posted 6 years ago

bbdelux

if i change the GeForce 9600GT 512MB Dual DVI with a sapphire radeon x1600 pro 256m 64-bit ddr2 pci-e vga/tvo/dvi-i would i be better or worse

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

Much worse off... the 9600GT is a very solid card, one of the best out there right now. We were just saying that the 8800GT is still the absolute best when it comes to gaming for the price.

http://www.tomshardware.com/ch.....584%2C1617

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

If you want to look at an ATI GPU as an alternative, you need to be looking at the Radeon HD 3870. I'm not advocating for either company, just telling you the options.

Posted 6 years ago

plj

I built 2 machines last month. One for each son. One had the 9600 and the other had the 8800. Within 2 days the 9600 was replaced with the 8800. Go with the 8800 you will be very happy.....

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.