The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Setting up a hybrid drive

(24 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by akaicewolf
  • Latest reply from akaicewolf
  • Topic Viewed 7552 times

akaicewolf

So I have the HD + SSD hybrid drive that came with my lap top. When I upgraded to Windows 8 I accidently formatted the 20Gig SSD part. So before the SSD part was being used a cache and not it is not doing anything. Does anyone know how I can set it up to be used as cache again?

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

Assuming you haven't changed the settings in the BIOS, which should have been set up as a RAID system so it ignores the SSD part initially, then you should be able to boot the system and install as normal onto the main drive. Then, when the system is up and running you need to install the chipset drivers and the SSD cache utility before anything else. This varies with whichever chipset you have, for example if it's an Intel one then you are looking for their 'Rapid Storage Technology' and if it didn't come on a disk you can download it from the Intel Download Centre. Once installed it is available as a System tray icon (in Windows 8 I cannot say where it will be, but have a look through the Programs for it), open the utility and look for the 'Accelerate' section where you will find your SSD listed for selection.

Posted 1 year ago

akaicewolf

I don't have a button that says accelerate. I installed the chipset and everything. Any idea why that could be? Also, does the SSD need to be unallocated space or allocated?

I didn't mess with BIOS. But my BIOS is really really simple and it doesn't have any option for RAID. Like it barely has any options at all

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

What oldgeezer meant was to:

Download and Install File name: iata_enu.exe Version:11.6.0.1030

http://downloadcenter.intel.co.....8;lang=eng

Reboot

Then turn it on in Control Panel / (Notification Area Icons) and an Icon will show up in the Tray Icons so you can click on it to configure the system.

Posted 1 year ago

akaicewolf

Right I did that before. Here is how mine looks like http://imgur.com/7iztl

I did look at the help and it says you should click the accelerate button to set it up as a cache. However, no such button exists

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Not sure a Laptop supports what you are trying to do.
http://www.intel.com/support/c.....032826.htm

Best Bet for a Laptop is to use a True SSD from my researching.

May be one of Laptop Members knows how to do what you want with limited Bios Functions and will answer. :)

Posted 1 year ago

akaicewolf

My laptop does support it. It used to have it set up on Windows 7. I however upgraded to Windows 8 and formatted the SSD and the main drive portion. So then it became messed up.

Here is my laptop

http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6834215392

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

What is the Exact Make and Model Number of the Machine ??

I will research for manuals and procedures.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

You need to call Acer as there is a UEFI Bios Update involved for Windows 8 and very little information I can find on the site on How To Setup the Machine Properly.

Is a very nice computer and is still under warrenty. :) :)

Posted 1 year ago

akaicewolf

I called them and basically the guy said he has no idea and should call back tomorrow for their level 2 tech support. I asked him how to upgrade to the UEFI as it wasn't letting me upgrade to any 2.x version. He told me that software team hasn't finished developing an upgrade (even though there is a 2.07 and 2.11 version). So they really have no idea what they were talking about. Going to call their level 2 tech support and let you know tomorrow!

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Others might like to take note of the PC Brand Name and your experience with Tech Support for their Product.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

If it's under 30days from purchase maybe give some thought in returning the system or telling the level 2 tech your going to return it if tech support cannot support products they sell

Posted 1 year ago

akaicewolf

I just got off the phone with them. To upgrade Bios to a 2.x version for Windows 8. I had to do it before I installed Windows 8. For the SSD as cache they said they don't deal with that and I need to call Microsoft

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Downloads & Support Documents - Aspire / Aspire M5-481TG

http://support.acer.com/produc.....delId=4281

The Manual will prove helpful.

User Manual (Windows 8) Acer 01.01.04 113.2 MB 11/27/2012

MS will not answer questions concerning Intel Hardware.

Best we Research Intel and other Sites.

Posted 1 year ago

akaicewolf

I think I am going to revert back to Windows 7. See if I can get it working there. If yes, try to install BIOS before upgrading back to Windows 8? But do you know if what they said makes sense? To upgrade BIOS to windows 8 version before installing Windows 8?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Yes, Clean Install Windows 7 with only (1) Partition.
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=1

Load in the Win7 Drivers after Clean Install.

******Then Update the Machine Bios to Latest Version.*********

Then we'll Clean Install Windows 8 using DiskPart to prepare the Hard Drive First.

Posted 1 year ago

akaicewolf

Nope still not letting my upgrade my BIOS. Going to call them again tomorrow. This is becoming really frustrating

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

akaicewolf,

Do you have a DVD or ISO Download of Windows 8 ??

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

@Rick, sorry about the false "report" on your reply. I meant to click on the TOP link.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

No Problem. :) :)

There is something badly wrong with the Acer Support Page as the Bios Update Version Numbers do NOT match their Release Dates.

1.05 should not be released after 2.11 ?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!