How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Services running on my pc

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by mandikris
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 7416 times

mandikris
mandikris

I am having trouble with my pc running VERY slow on start-up and running out of virtual memory. I have been told that I probably have too many services enabled and running on startup. I know how to view these but have NO CLUE which ones are actually necessary or that I can shut down safely...or if it even really matters! Can someone help? Here is a list of my services running now:

.NET Runtime Optimization Service v2.0.50727_X86
Alerter
Apple Mobile Device
Application Layer Gateway Service
Application Management
ASP.NET State Service
Automatic Updates
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Bonjour Service
ClipBook
COM+ Event System
COM+ System Application
Computer Browser
Cryptographic Services
DCOM Server Process Launcher
DHCP Client
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Distributed Transaction Coordinator
DNS Client
eAcceleration Notification Service
eAcceleration Product Manager Service
Error Reporting Service
Event Log
Extensible Authentication Protocol Service
Fast User Switching Compatibility
FWService
Health Key and Certificate Management Service
Help and Support
HTTP SSL
Human Interface Device Access
IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service
Indexing Service
iPod Service
IPSEC Services
Java Quick Starter
Kerio Personal Firewall
LexBce Server
Logical Disk Manager
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service
Messenger
Messenger Sharing Folders USN Journal Reader service
Microsoft Office Diagnostics Service
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider
Net Logon
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
Network Access Protection Agent
Network Connections
Network DDE
Network DDE DSDM
Network Location Awareness (NLA)
Network Provisioning Service
NT LM Security Support Provider
Office Source Engine
Performance Logs and Alerts
Plug and Play
Portable Media Serial Number Service
Print Spooler
Protected Storage
QoS RSVP
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
Remote Access Connection Manager
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
Removable Storage
Routing and Remote Access
Secondary Logon
Security Accounts Manager
Security Center
Server
Shell Hardware Detection
Smart Card
SSDP Discovery Service
StopSign Antivirus Security Center Provider
StopSign Firewall Security Center Provider
System Event Notification
System Restore Service
Task Scheduler
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Telephony
Terminal Services
Themes
Uninterruptible Power Supply
Universal Plug and Play Device Host
Volume Shadow Copy
WebClient
Windows Audio
Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
Windows Installer
Windows Live Setup Service
Windows Management Instrumentation
Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
Windows Time
Wired AutoConfig
Wireless Zero Configuration
WMI Performance Adapter
Workstation

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

mandikris, what a huge list !
I will gladly help with this tomorrow
if no one has helped sooner. it's bedtime here
now but please do take this suggestion; download
and install Autoruns by Microsoft, Google for the Black
Viper services website and be familiar with running services.msc
from the run command. I'll bet by this time tomorrow your PC is da bomb.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Mandi, that is a long list, alright! How did you generate it? I wonder if all of those services are actually running or if some of them are just installed.

Black Viper has the ultimate guide to Windows services and which ones can be safely disabled under different conditions. Here is the list of services for 32-bit XP with SP3. There are instructions on that site for how to disable services and even registry files that will change all of them at once.

Usually, extra services take up memory more than they slow down performance, but it never hurts to turn them off. Performance problems are more likely to be associated with startup programs, anti-virus software, or poorly-written device drivers. Use Autoruns, as Scott suggested, to examine and disable startup programs. After it is done scanning, choose the "Logon" tab to view and change startups.

Posted 5 years ago

mandikris
mandikris

Thank you Scott and ScottW! I got the above posted list by going to start>run and typing in "services.msc." Most of them were actually running. I went to the Black Viper Guide and disabled several of them. As far as the "Autoruns" program, I did that but am not really sure of what I need to disable or leave alone. From the logon tab, I copy and pasted these program names so maybe you could tell me what's important and what's not.
Here are the programs:
1) under the heading "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\Wds\rdpwd\StartupPrograms" there was "rdpclip"
2) under the heading "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit " there was "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Userinit.exe"
3) under the heading "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell" there was "explorer.exe"
4) under the heading "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" there was "602PC SUITE PDF Saver" and "LEAVE THESE U MAGGOT!"
5) under the heading "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" there was "ctfmon.exe" and "Microsoft" and "Update" and "Windows Insecure" and "Windows-Update" and "Windows-Xdate"

Also...to beat everything else, I am now getting a new error message. When I try to download a game, it tells me: The game downloader is unable to continue. If you have web browsers open (of which I did not), close them and click the "retry" button. If that doesn't work, click the cancel button, reboot your computer, and try downloading again. Ok, so then I click cancel as it told me and it says: Sorry, Windows has blocked the game downloader from accessing your computer. Make sure your Windows user account has full privileges. I am on administrator level so that should not be the issue but tried the suggested reboot for my own peace of mind to NO avail! These problems have just started all at once, and I have not installed anything new or changed any settings to my knowledge that should have caused any of these issues. I was downloading and playing new games only a week ago. I have scanned with my anti-virus software and run a registry cleaner to make sure there were not any issues there as well. I feel like I am losing control of my pc and ready to SCREAM :-(

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

It sounds like you have a spyware infection -- maybe more than one. Certainly the entry "Leave these U maggot" is a big red flag. Also, "Windows-Xdate" is a known trojan. You can remove the check marks by these in Autoruns, but malware tends to re-create the entries.

Follow the malware removal guide a majorgeeks to get rid of the bad stuff. I recommend that you boot into Safe Mode with Networking as soon as possible.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.