The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Servers

(7 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by mrmontage
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 368 times

mrmontage

I have noticed that on three sites it takes 5 minutes or more to connect to their sites. Other sites it takes just a few seconds.

I have been told that reason it takes so long for these sites is they are at a really long distance from the servers for AT&T.

Is that true or is there a more complicated issue. My computer speed is about 2.5 Mbps.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

It is a VERY complicated issue.

May be could you post one of the sites if not too personal ??

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

mrmontage

TVLine, Perez Hilton and TMZ. As you can see they are all entertainment sites. Each of them takes at least 5 minutes+ to open completely.

Posted 2 years ago

mrmontage

As a side note, what is the usual speed for DSL vs Cable?

I'm guessing the age of my computer may have something to do with 'slower' speeds.

Is it possible these sites use servers in foreign countries? Would that be a reason for them to be so slow to open completely?

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

All have a lot of image links plus TMZ has huge a background which make them take some time to open completely.

However, none should take 5 minutes.

My best guess is that you live a long way from the severs and may be need to tune up your browser.

My internet speed when its raining, like right now, is less than 1.

EDIT: My DSL is slowest of all HTG members.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

Never used these sites. Tried just to see what happened as far as speed. To fully download, none took longer than 20 seconds.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

All three of those site's .com open relatively fast on my vista computer on 6Meg DSL. They all have many intense pictures and video content as well as advertisers which could cause slow loading. Perez and TVLine cam up with-in 5 sec while TMZ took 10-15 sec to fully load. If you have ad-blockers, or are using a specialized hosts file I would disable them and see if things speed up.

Another thying to try would be to try The fast Google Public DNS which might speed things up.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.