SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

select a folder to file send e-mails from Outlook?

(16 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by boomer23059
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 2238 times

boomer23059
boomer23059

On my old computer, I had a free Outlook add-in that would prompt you for a folder in which to store a copy whenever you sent an e-mail. It was great! I could easily store my sent e-mails in the right project folder just like I do my received e-mails. (This is in addition to the copy automatically stored in the sent folder.) But I had a hard-drive crash and I couldn't find the add-in again (shame on me.) I've found a few commercial tools that do that and a dozen other things, but not as well as the little free tool.

Has anyone seen an Outlook add-in like that? I looks like it would be easy to code, but I don't want to invest the time to learn the Outlook API. Suggestions?

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

I'm looking but need to know if it was a Microsoft or third party Add-in? Which version of Outlook do you use?

Posted 6 years ago

boomer23059
boomer23059

It was third party, not access. As I recall, it was a COM add-on.

Posted 6 years ago

boomer23059
boomer23059

Too many things going on today. I meant, "It was a third party free add-on, not from Microsoft. I think it was a COM add-in."

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

boomer23059
boomer23059

I was aware of Slipstick and had searched it exhaustively (and just did again). I hadn't heard about snapfiles, but no luck there either.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Yeah, I can't find a specific AddIn for designating folders to save when sending mail.

Any other hints?

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Closer? http://www.claritude.com/produ.....ler-ms.htm

"Prompts you for a folder when you send a message."

Posted 6 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

Nice find, Scott... I'm gonna try that out!

Posted 6 years ago

boomer23059
boomer23059

I'll give it a try. Still, it has a bunch of features I don't want and it's $25. Sigh. I miss my little, free COM add-in.

Posted 6 years ago

boomer23059
boomer23059

Sorry, I just re-read my last post. I'm very grateful for your work to find this. THANKS!

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

No worries, I'll keep looking. Thx SMG.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Boomer,

Follow this thread I started:

http://www.microsoft.com/offic.....US&p=1

Posted 6 years ago

boomer23059
boomer23059

One downside of the claritude product is that if you select a folder to store a sent message, it does NOT put a copy in the sent folder. That's not a behaviour I wanted.

Posted 6 years ago

boomer23059
boomer23059

The second example at the thread you pointed out is EXACTLY what I want! Fantastic!

Just one problem! In Outlook 2007, when I click on "Tools" "Macros", all options are greyed out. I searched the web looking for answers, but no luck. Under "Trust Center", it shows "Microsoft VBA for Outlook" add-in as loaded but inactive. It's set to "Load on Demand, (Not currently loaded)" under the COM add-ins.

I'm usint a trial version of Outlook 2007. Maybe coding is disabled in the trail, but I don't think so.

So close and yet so far!

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

You can register and ask that question direct on the Outlook thread started for you.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!