How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

Security Tutorial

(49 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by StringJunky
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 4066 times

StringJunky
StringJunky

Given the frequency of people asking what the best security software strategy is wouldn't it be a good idea to put together a tutorial of what is currently considered the best products (free and paid). You could make it in categories according to function and then tell to people choose the options within each category. They would select one option from each of the categories to have reasonably comprehensive security solution. It could go something like this:

Antivirus: MSE, Avira, Norton...

Scanners: Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware....

Dodgy Website Checker: WOT, Mcafe SiteAdvisor....

System Cleaner: Ccleaner....

Online Data Transfer Security: Rapport....

Imaging Software: Macrium, TruImage....

Others: ....

The above are just examples.

This way there is no argument what the BEST is...leave that to the poster to choose. They then become aware of the areas they need to cover and recommended products to have a good solution. We can then just link people to that when they ask.

Tony

Posted 3 years ago

marks100
marks100

nice one Sj good idea a sort of ''pic n mix '' as it were :) love this ..... Dodgy Website Checker nice !

mark. do they all interact with each other ? .. yes i believe they do :)

Posted 3 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Interesting one Tony,

But I think that will be a long long list depending on what you wanted from a secure system. :)

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Mark

I didn't know what else to call the Dodgy Website Checkers! :)

Guilty Spark

I was visualising no more than 4 or 5 options in each category. Keep it simple...it's for noobs. The other major function I missed out was Firewall...That number of functions will cover most beginners requirements.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

SpywareBaster should be on EVERY System no matter what ever else is running.

Posted 3 years ago

ironstine1946

Thanks Sringybark. I learnt one thing up there. And this is not a complaint !!!! but when people on here give a solution to a problem I wish they would put it in plain English. I sometimes go away just as confused as when I entered.I have friends that come to me with the printed answer and ask me what does this mean,Im as confuddled as they are.Im 64 and been on computers about a year and learnt a lot,but nobody know all that spiffle in some answers.Mr Heeadscrather ???

Posted 3 years ago

nt0xik8ed
nt0xik8ed

ironstine1946, i made the exact same comment a few months ago. people coming here for help need simple answers not some big long tecnocrap answer that a seasoned geek would have to get a book out to understand. i'm afraid to send people here anymore. the last 2 i send just never came back. i think they went to yahoo answers, at least they understood the answers. also on another thread the commenter said he was so confused by so many different answers there is no way he could get his problem solved. luckily i've been here long enough to know who gives the good advice.

as rick said > Spywareblaster

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Hi ironstine1946

What I put up there had some 'made up' stuff on it..so don't take any of it as gospel...I was just trying to illustrate something to people that know what I'm on about. I'm actually trying to make it easier for people like yourself to put together a simple security solution that you can choose between and find what suits you instead of being left up in the air with conflicting or vague advice in security terms. From what I can see now there will never be a consensus so it's a dead horse from the start.

As far as the language used for advice goes that's very much dependent on the style of the answerer...it's pot luck if you get it in a language you yourself understand...keep asking what things mean and declare your knowledge level from the start when you post is the best I say.

Tony

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@nt0xik8ed,

Thanks for your confidence.

A major problem is that the Operating Systems and Hardware have become so complicated now that it is very hard to explain answers without getting into technical detail.

If something is really technical and requires much verbose write up, I usually will Just Post (Trust Me on This One) and try to give a short concise answer unless we are discussing deep specifications and such amongst us "old timers".

It really helps when OP postings include their level of computer expertise and also provides the exact machine name and model number that they are having a problem with which is usually easy for them to find on their computers.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Rick

Can it be done what I'm suggesting to cover beginners and people that just want to USE their computer?

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Tony,

Yes it can most certainly be done.

That's what "Best of Breed Sticky Topic" started out to be serveral years ago.

The trick is to have one member in charge of a Specific Sticky Topic so it doesn't become cluttered.

The member would have to be fair and include software they may prefer not to use but that is OK as long as the software posted is not harmful.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Thank you Rick,

I have much respect for your opinion and if you'd said 'no' I would have believed you. :)

I think as long as a chosen 'suite' covers the most likely problems it doesn't matter that one AV is '3% better than the rest' as long as all the components evolve with emerging threats and imaging is the 'cure' anyway. A 3% disadvantage in making the 'wrong' choice is better than 100% confusion on the part of a poster who may well do nothing in exasperation!

Tony

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

TRUE !!

Rick P. :)

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

This is a difficult subject. A lot depends on personal preference and experience. In the AV world there are "aquired tasts" - good or bad. Try to define what is the best wine or beer - same difficulty.

In my computer club we refrain from advising people on AV programs (other than the forementioned scanners). We just say:" that is what we use". But you need not go by us. That has proven to be a good strategy.

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I would like Rick LH Whs and Mike to each give me a list of the software they use that is an integral part of their security strategy...if that's ok guys? :)

Antivirus
Firewall
Scanners
Imager
Any Others

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

NIS2011, SAS, WinPatrol and Macrium which is the most important in this bundle.

Posted 3 years ago

vistual
vistual

vote +100x for...
SAS & WinPatrol
WinPatrol 's gotta be one of the best kept secrets for that type of use. Hardly ever mentioned.
: )

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I agree Vistual, WinPatrol ought to get mentioned more often to reasonably knowledgeable users, it's been part of my toolkit for quite a while...it's nice to know what's going to happen next boot or try and sneak itself into StartUP. It's stopped one fake AV i know of from trying to pop up next boot. I think it's a bit of a geek tool though because a lot of the stuff it notifies about are ok things and you need the knowledge to differentiate so I don't think it's suitable for a noob.

whs

Thanks...do you use the Windows firewall?

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

@StringJunky.
That is a fair request. The setup I have is exactly the same on the 3 systems I have.

Anti virus:
MSE 2.
Windows Firewall

Antispyware/malware:
SAS
MBAM
SpywareBlaster
WinPatrol

Cleanup:
Ccleaner
Defraggler
Back up is Macrium Reflect

On this machine which gets very heavy Internet usage (research and software download/testing), MSE auto at 6am. SAS and MBAM at least once a day.
I use McAfee and WOT in IE9 and FF 4.
Ccleaner after downloads and uninstalls (always with REVO).
I have not had a serious virus in two years or more.
I'm happy with the above setup, basically because for me, it works and the resources are low.
I back up every 3 days at present.
This does not mean it's perfect but it works for me.

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Thanks Mike

Your security exactly mirrors mine.. the only additional thing I've got is Rapport.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!