The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Security issue's

(8 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by BillyBob500
  • Latest reply from BillyBob500
  • Topic Viewed 945 times

BillyBob500

If one could translate geek into layman terms regarding an issue I have I would be very thankfull.
I have managed to hide my I.P address, which is good, I have managed to download a program which checks up on whos watching me, which is good too, I can't for the life of me get around all the jargon in finding a program which allows me to check on 'so-called' friends IP's, just to make they are who they say they are.
Please, could anybody help, Im joined to a forum which is perfectly legal but im basically the mouthpiece for me friend who has no online capabilitys so he uses my PC. I do warn the fool that you dont quite know who you are talking to, but alas he never listerns.
Is there some kind of embedded code that one could place somewhere on their profile, like in the signature box? Thus allowing the profile owner access to who's been looking? This would also solve anyone using multiple fake identities and pretending to be other people whilst they converse with him??

Thanks for reading anyways - Cheers from Merry Old England

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

edit- Moved to Geek Stuff

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

BillyBob, I feel like I need someone to translate your post. I'm not sure exactly what you are asking for, but let me have a go:

You have managed to hide your IP. In geek speak, we would say you are using an anonymizer or anonymizing proxy server.

You have an app that checks up on who's watching you. I'm not sure exactly what that means. Maybe an IP logger that keeps track of all the IPs that send you packets? That wouldn't really tell you who is watching you. After all, they might be using an anonymizer, too.

You are letting your friend use your system online, even though he seems to be careless when it comes to security. It sounds like you have given him his own profile -- good idea. Now you want a way to monitor who is "looking" at his account while he is online? If you have an IP logger, or whatever it is, aren't you already keeping track of this?

You want to solve anyone using multiple fake addresses. Isn't that you? With your anonymizer, you are using an IP address that can't be traced to you (fake) and changes every time (multiple).

This whole conversation is making me feel paranoid.

Posted 6 years ago

BillyBob500

Hi Scott, if I was to say lets forget all ive written and start again it might be better.

My IP anonymizer is great, I like it, it works.

My IP logger isnt a 'proper logger', it just tells anyone who hits his profile what 'THEIR' IP is, I have no access to see what 'THEIR' IP address is, typical lying peice of software u find all over the net i guess as its suppose to tell me which IP's have checked out his profile.

I was thinking about placing embedded coding into PM's or emails, which when sent, and then replied to I would know their IP, (through the embedded code placed in the email). Or, if anybody knows of the software package I need then please, that would be great.
Why do i need to do all this Scott? Well its to expose the site for what it really is. I like to think of myself as a freelance investigative journalist, ;)

I know a small number of people involved in this site are cops or contractors employed by cops, they are moderators/admin and some have alias's as normal public profiles. I'd love to be able to get hold of the IP's as u can imagine by having access to peoples IP's will in turn enable me to work out who is who in the grand order of play. I'd also love to report the fact that the Police activley run a cannabis forum and which sells cannabis seeds and all the kit to members of the british public then pass on the information to enable their arrest in due course, (this is basically Entrapment). My friend as u can imagine is at this site, LOL, he doesnt belive me but is ok that he has to use an anonymizer when he logs on,

So is there anyway piece of decent software that allows me to keep a check on who's been keeping a check on him.. I'd love to have a piece of software running on this system which enabled me to simply right click over someones name and up pops their IP, I doubt it would be that simple tho, and of course they could be using an anonymizer too, chance you take tho isnt it?

so wether anybody knows of some coding i could insert into emails/pm's or whatever that would give up smeones IP then please, feel free to mail me.. Thankyou

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

Actually, probably not, as most IP's are dynamic. Every time you reboot your pc, you get a new IP address for you pc. When using a laptop on a Wi-Fi connection, you will get a new IP every time you make a new connection to a new router. IP's are an incredibly unreliable way to find out who someone is.

Posted 6 years ago

BillyBob500

I understand that, however multiple profile users seldom boot down then up again when they change from one profile to another profile, thus the IP will remain the same, whilst they are connected, true?

Thats when I get em! I dont need to know where they live, i just need to know which profiles they are using
When u put up a post in any forum which might cause someone to disagree with your opinions sometimes that disagreeing person will jump into another profile and quite simply disagree as well, b4 you know it you could have 10 people rubbishing your claims but those 10 people are all the same person.
After time on forums/chatrooms you can spot a multiple profile user through the same the 'type' and spellings, we dont all spell or chat the same way as u can imagine.

I would dearly love to know how as per described in the above posts Ive typed.
An online forum which is run by one guy that has offices around the world who is continousley online at the site, beggers belief how one so rich is constantly online answering peoples questions and generally moderating.

Dont get me wrong but an operation this size most likely the moderaters and admin wouldnt know of who is really working behind the scene's, however... for accountability sake, someone must know what that site is really all about..

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

Give one of these a try http://sectools.org/sniffers.html might not work but should be worth the try.

Posted 6 years ago

BillyBob500

Much oblidged Budohorseman, ;)

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.