The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Security for gamers

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by DeadFool
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 376 times

DeadFool

I'm currently using Norton Internet Security. I think cusing my laptop more work then its worth.
I was thinking of replacing it with a less resource hogging AV.
Any ideas? I'm looking for a good one that doesn keep me from playing games at max performance.
Sorry for my bad english and thanks for the help.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

deadfool, I would go with MSE it's Free http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....s-download

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

I would second ronniesonora's suggestion. With MSE you can limit the resources in settings;

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

DeadFool

Thanks for the tip. What about avast? My friend told me it has a "gaming mode" or something like that.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I had avast! and tried the gaming mode. I didn't notice much of a difference but I when I'm gaming I only have the game, an internet window, and maybe music going. I currently have Microsoft Security Essentials and it works just the same (in my opinion) as the avast! gaming mode. I have not limited my CPU usage (vistamike's picture) and have noticed no lag in games.

My PC is far from a Ultra setting gaming PC.
AMD Phenom 9850 x4
4GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 210 Graphics

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

I've used both MSE and Avast alternatively but always find myself going back to Avast.
Version 8 is great.
I play intensively, download intensively, watch streaming (Netflix) intensively and have never encountered any issue with these 2 AV.
I know the mods here LOVE MSE unconditionally but my preference is to Avast - I find it more user friendly and easier to fiddle with the options.

Try both of them and see what you like best, just don't have both installed at the same time ;)

I'll end with my quote:
It's all a matter of perception.

Posted 1 year ago

DeadFool

What about a firewall?
Would it be better to replace the default one?

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I have always used the default firewall and I've never had any troubles.

If I were you I would just stick with the default one.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

The 'default' firewall doesn't provide outbound protection. No a real problem, unless you've got something trying to get out.

NIS for the last few years has not been a load on computers, no more than other systems. However, almost ANY A/V can be, if the system is old. You've not given System spec's here so it it hard to say. You are in the W7 part of the forum, so your computer might be fairly 'modern'.

One thing you can try with NIS, and that is put it to sleep for a period of time. Just Right Mouse Button on the Systray icon and you'll see 2 entries, one for the A/V and the other for the Firewall. For a short period of time as long as you don't surf or d/l files you should be able to try the game(s) and see if Norton actually is slowing you down.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!