The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - secuirty

(26 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by ianhen
  • Latest reply from tech27
  • Topic Viewed 915 times

ianhen

Hi,Which is the better antivirus to use.. Eset Smart or SuoerantiSpyware. I realise the difference in price is quite significant. Cheers

Posted 2 years ago

gedstar

Why pay, there is plenty of good free ones to choose from

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

StokesleyLad

Hi Ianhen. While Eset Smart is a Anti-virus suite I think you'll find that Super AntiSpyware is not. It is for checking and removing all manner of malware & spyware and I find it very good. I use the free version of it in conjunction with the Free version of Avast, which is an anti-virus program with many extras. I've used this combination with confidence for a number of years. You could also have a look at the free version of AVG which many people like. Of course each of the above have 'Pro' - paid for versions if you prefer to go down that path.
Hope this helps you.
Norman.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Eset is an excellent AV suite. But SAS is really only a scanner and should be used in addition to an AV suite.

Posted 2 years ago

ianhen

Thank you all.I think i will go with the Avastand keep the SAS.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Sounds like a plan. MSE is another reasonable free option.

Posted 2 years ago

ianhen

I had MSE running when i got the MyStart virus so was wanting to try something else

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

I have been using Avira free for years,
http://www.filehippo.com/download_antivir/
Along with SAS, MBAM, and http://www.filehippo.com/download_spywareblaster/

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Yeah, MSE is not the greatest. I caught a couple of nasties myself when MSE was active. That's why I said "reasonable option" - not the best option.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

The best option, is image,image,image.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Absolutely. That's why I never worry too much about unforseen events.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

@WHS,LH, Question on this topic. Is it possible that a worm virus would be able to get into the images?

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49

Joe,

i would say that's possible but very unlikely. if you did a image before you did anything different to the system i would say no. I'm no expert here but my thinking is if you did a image and the system is effected then i would say yes it would be. i don't know.. sorry for butting in.

john

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

Your not butting in. I was just wondering that if you made an image when machine is clean and saved it to DVD disks they are then seperate from the machine if it becomes affected. But, if you made an image to external drive as I do, should the drive be disconnected from the machine so it could not be affected. I leave my back up drive connected, is that the wrong thing to do?

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

You ok john.
Imaging should be done when you KNOW your system is running sweet as a nut. I image often and it does not take long (macrium reflect).
Your docs, holiday snaps /weddings / music / movies et al should be on the external drive at all times, less stress on the imaging process, keep only immediate requirements on the main machine and this keeps clutter to a minimum.

On main machine I have 2 external drives, one connected 24/7 access required and the 2nd disconnected which is the main backup drive which I copy every day and overwrite. I connect only when I need access.

Point to note, my OS on laptop backup is written to a pocket drive.

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

Thanks Mike. Was interested in the disconnected drive. Only have one external that stays always connected. Will have to pick up another just for imaging. I do use Macrium.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Of course it must be noted that if you do keep all your "stuff" on the external and not on the main system, that is no longer a backup. It must be backed up somewhere else, too.

Posted 2 years ago

tsmith777

LH, I have been using MSE after using Norton 360 for years, I like MSE but after reading your comments that you have used Avira for years I downloaded and installed it, then I ran a full scan and it came up with one virus and two malware infections that neither MSE or Sas had discovered, is this typical or just a fluke? I don't know if I should uninstall MSE and use only Aviar. Can you or anyone else advise? I have both Xp and win 7 Os's.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

SAS will pick up different things to Avira or MSE. I use Avira because it works well for me, and all the computers I have installed it on. And yes, I have tried them all at some point. (the free ones that is)

Posted 2 years ago

tsmith777

Ok thanks so I should uninstall MSE, Correct?

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.