SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - SearchProtocolHost.exe is reading every file on my hard disk. What is it.

(8 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by pinguino1
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 205886 times

pinguino1

I have a Windows 7/64. When I saw the HDD light blinking at high speed while I was not doing anything on the computer. I check the Resource Monitor and this file has hundres of entries reading entire folders on my HDD. What's going on? I thought it was a virus or somthing but it looks that is a Microsoft file. What is doing. How to stop it? Should I stop it?

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Maybe just indexing.
What security programs are you running ?

Posted 4 years ago

pinguino1

I'm not sure what you mean but I have Norton nothing else special.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Indexing (supposedly) makes searching faster.
If you right click on each drive letter, select Properties. You will see a box marked "Index this drive for faster searching". Uncheck the box.

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

gordy
gordy

If LH's solution doesn't work, try this from the Microsoft Technet Forum re: Searchprotocolhost.exe, which indexes the computer files for Windows 4.0 Seach, I believe.

To get around the problem, I type Run, enter, and in the box type services.msc and press enter/click OK. Go down to Windows Search and double click on it. Stop the service and then disable it from starting. My machine now runs like a racehorse. (edited for win7)

I'm not sure, after that, if that search box above the start button will work well or not, as I haven't had a need to shut it off.

Posted 4 years ago

pinguino1

Thanks LH and Gordy,

First of all I feel good that it was not a Troyan or something.
Both of your answers stops the indexing.
So what I have to decide is if I want a machine running like a racehorse or get a search answer running like a lighting.

Follow up questions:
1- Is there a way to schedule window indexing at off hours? or
2- if I allow indexing, let's say once a week for a whole night, do you think I will maintain a 90% 95% indexed files so it wont affect the the search significantly?

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

Good question, and I don't know. Give it a try (once a week indexing) and let us know in this thread.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Don't use indexing at all, and use this,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....n-windows/
It is blazingly fast.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.