The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - searchnu.com/421

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by captainbars
  • Latest reply from captainbars
  • Topic Viewed 670 times

captainbars

does anyone know how I can get rid of this browser hijacker virus, called searchnu.com/421?? AVG and Microsoft Security doesn't find it. I've tried suggestions from the net, but it hasn't worked. Was told to delete the associated files (windows\system32\consrv.dll, and, windows\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys). I've taught myself how to use a pc, so please use layman's terms.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Download, install, update and run Malwarebytes and/or Superantispyware. Both are free.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

http://www.softpedia.com/get/A.....ner.shtml.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

It's not a virus...it's Ask search engine.

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99

just change your default search engine in your browser , and you can remove the Ask search engine from the options.

Posted 1 year ago

captainbars

Thanks to all, but Xhi was most helpful. It's not an Ask search engine, and the 1st thing I did was change back to my home page and Bing...redundantly. I'd been downloading games from myplaycity.com. Nothing bad had happened before, but this time it did! I downloaded Malwarebytes which found 7 items. When I clicked to open a new tab, searchnu tried to load but malwarebyte blocked it. I'll ask my nephew if he can clean my pc, when he gets the time (he's in computer repair). Thanks again, all of you.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.