The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Search in Windows 8

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Budd
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 448 times

Budd

The search function is awful. It used to be—in XP and 7—I could track down a strayed file provided I had most of the file name or something memorable in the text. No more. Eventhe Pokki Start button replacement's search function stinks. Any ideas? Any add-ons? Thanks,

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

If Windows Indexing is on, it should find the files?

Some 3rd party File Managers, like Explorer++ have a FIND/SEARCH function, you can try that I guess?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

Are you using the Modern/Live Tiles search, or the search from Explorer desktop windows? The search you should probably be using is by sweeping the right side of screen and Selecting the search charm, then in the search string area put a part of your filename and make sure you select the Files button. Works well on my install, even if I do not designate which type of file I am looking for: no wild card characters are necessary, but you can use the asterisk and then designate a file extension.

Posted 1 year ago

Budd

Thanks, Irv and Fhirkin9. Yesterday evening, the search Charm started working, more or less. It will now find files by name or content, but not the files I created on my hard drive. Instead, it finds the same files in Dropbox. Obviously, the file paths are the same, so I can track something down, but it's a bit odd. I don't know about indexing, Irv. I searched it and found an MS explanation that looks mighty awkward. Are there simpler routes to take to turn it on? Thanks.

Budd

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

You are on W8 so it is easy to 'customize'...

From the SEARCH CHARM enter 'indexing' and then select settings and you'll see the INDEXING OPTIONS right on the top of the list on the left. It should be real easy to make what you want to search and what to exclude set. Not complicated at all.

Post back if you need more help. Here is a 'TUTORIAL' if you need one.

This ONE also covers it and more if you need to 'tweak' some stuff.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.