The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Search Engines Won't Work

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by redhairedgirly
  • Latest reply from Santo
  • Topic Viewed 4419 times

redhairedgirly

Hello! I'm not computer savvy at all so please be gentle with me if this is a stupid question. I have the latest version of Firefox. My Google search box at the top right of the page stopped working. It will not search. It does NOTHING. After researching this, I found that this is not unusual for Firefox users: for the Google search box to stop working from time to time. So, I went to the Google website. Same thing. No search results. Just a blank page with "Done" at the bottom. Bing. Same thing. Yahoo. Same thing. The only search engine that I can get to work on my computer is HotBot and I can't even search for images on THAT. This all started happening about a week ago. Please, somebody help me. I'm completely baffled and at my wits end.

Posted 5 years ago

Santo
Santo

How about creating a new administrator user account and checking if every thing works fine there?
You may refer here.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

It may be well worth uninstalling then re-installing FF.
Use this to uninstall,
http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Any bookmarks etc you want to save first, then use this,
http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

And a whole slew of search engines here,
http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engines.html

Posted 5 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

Sounds a bit "Conficker" to me.

Posted 5 years ago

redhairedgirly

OK, guys. I created a new admin account and still no search engines are working. I also uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled. Still not working. Some other things that are happening: computer is crashing 3-4 times a day. The black screen where it says "Start in Safe Mode" comes up. There are other strange things that are happening that I can't remember right off the top of my head. Whenever they occur again, I will post them. Anybody have any new ideas? Someone mentioned the Conficker virus. Could this be it? This all started after I visited a MySpace comments website. The computer went nuts while I was on it. I have tried downloading all sorts of virus removers and have ran them all but nothing is working.

Posted 5 years ago

Santo
Santo

If things are not right in new user account too then it is a system wide issue ie. your computer might have been infected. If you have all your important data backup, then reinstall the operating system.

Posted 5 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

I know I always say this, but sometimes it's easier and faster to format & re-install. You can save your data with an Ubuntu live CD.

Posted 5 years ago

Santo
Santo

That's correct.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.