(Solved) - Search box missing from Forums

(8 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Gemini566
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 1173 times

Gemini566
Gemini566

Hi,

This is a bit silly so I will not be offended if you wish to poke fun.

Last time I was here on the forums there was a search box I could use to enter key words related to my problem; mostly, I was saved the trouble of writing a post all about my problem because someone, sometime had had the same trouble and it had been solved.

Today, I want to find out about a toolbar that piggy-backed onto my brother's PC when he installed the VLC media player.

I believe it is called "Unmoods". To be fair, he noted that he would be obliged to install the toolbar in order to have a working copy of the player and assumed (wrongly as it turns out) that he would have no trouble un-installing the toolbar later. Even Revo cannot get rid ofthe toolbar - it was still there after he removed the VLC software.

Any idea what can be done?

Also, to remind everyone of my original problem - where is the 'search box' for the Forums?? Have I lost it or is it no longer available?

It would be sad if I had to post every time I had a problem.

Thank you for your time and attention to my issue.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/search.php?q=

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

rdunseith
rdunseith

Top right under the banner. Says "Google Custom Search"

Posted 2 years ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

@Gemini566

You are not alone or silly.LOL!!! it was much clearer when it showed at the top left of each Forum...

Unwanted Toolbars seem to be causing annoyance, assume you have tried... View> Toolbars .......to remove...

Posted 2 years ago

Gemini566
Gemini566

Hi,

Thank you for the swift and positive responses.

My brother sent a text ten minutes ago to say he had managed to remove it; however, he neglected to add how.

The last time I used the Google seach box a new IE page appeared so I did not think to try it again.

Please, whoever is reponsible, put the internal search option back, or at least remove the misleading reference to Google and it's 'custom search' and indicate the box is for forum searches.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Until our great geek leader decides to 'put the box back'
Can I suggest this when you search!
In google; enter a generic string for instance

'vista blue screen how to geek'

In other words when you search add 'how to geek' to the search string

link

Posted 2 years ago

minigeek
minigeek

Mike, you could also use the "site:" opperator. If you wanted to search the site for the phrase "Build a computer" then you could search for:
site:howtogeek.com build a computer

That will not include other sites that may come up in the results for your search.

MiniGeek

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Have contacted The Geek again on this issue. I want it back too :)

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.