The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - seagate HDD

(23 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Eddiebug1
  • Latest reply from Eddiebug1
  • Topic Viewed 847 times

Eddiebug1

I have a seagate goflex 500GB HDD that is about 6 months old. I have asked for help on it a month or two ago but I am having problems with it i have ex-fat formatted it and it shows 465GB free space. I am running Windows 7 an all my computers that I have conected it to and it will not save anything to it. It starts to transfer and than has problems with it I need any help or sugestions. I have limeted intermitent internet gecause i am traveling but i will respond when i get on.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

What is your Operating System. Ex-Fat sounds suspicious. http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answ.....ile-system

Posted 2 years ago

Hermitt

eddiebug1, is there a particular reason why you formatted that drive to exfat?
Mine is formatted NTFS and works perfectly.

Jim

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

http://www.sevenforums.com/ins.....ormat.html Read through the W7 forums here and see if it helps your problem. I think NTFS is the format to use also. Unless you are running a Mac and you said you were not.

Posted 2 years ago

Hermitt

Great link, warlock!

Jim

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

Here's your original post with same hdd and same problem.
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....rnal-hdd-1
Is this drive still under warranty? If so get a replacement.
Formatting in exfat worked for a while but maybe not the answer.
When you bought this drive was it formatted for a Mac. If you still have the papaerwork or box look and see what you need to do to format NTFS for Windows.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

Good find germ-x, didn't get the whole story in this thread. I usually check previous posts but, didn't this time. That helps answer what Hermitt posted.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

For whetever the reason I remembered that one. Sure wasn't because I have a good memory

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

http://www.seagate.com/externa.....rd/goflex/ If this is what he has, it looks like it has a 2 yr. limited warranty. He should use it. I think he did something wrong to it right out of the box.

Posted 2 years ago

Hermitt

I think he should stop laying it on the motor home's Dog House. LOL

Jim

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

Just don't tell them that when you ask for the RMA.

Posted 2 years ago

Eddiebug1

when i tried to NTFS it is unable to be formatted EX-FAT is the only one it will format with

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

Then return it.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

Don't know for sure but while looking at some new external hdd's last week I saw many listed as formatted for Mac and not PC. Some were listed for either Mac or PC and stated if for windows must format first. You might have a propriatary hdd for a MAC.

Posted 2 years ago

Eddiebug1

germ-x I run Windows I have no need for Mac so I don't do anything that works better on Mac than Windows and mine said it worked on Windows or Mac

warlock Do I need to return it to the Wal-mart I bought it at or do I have to go through Seagate to return it

Posted 2 years ago

Eddiebug1

I can't seem to find a way to process the return of the hard drive through the website

Posted 2 years ago

Eddiebug1

Hemitt i formatted in exFAT because it wouldn't allow me to format in NTFS and when i try to it says unable to format or format failed

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

There might be one last shot at getting it to work. You might try Darik's Boot And Nuke
This will wipe your hdd so you will have to format it when Dban is complete.
Have you looked at all the spec's on this drive>
There should be a contact phone number on Seagate website. Try that if in the same country.

Posted 2 years ago

Eddiebug1

I downloaded a seagate tool to check the HDD and it says it has several bad sectors and needs to be serviced. Is there any way I can fix them without sending it in?

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Run a chkdsk /r in elevated cmd. That will fix it. If you want a specific partition, add x: in front of the /r where x is the partition letter of the said partition. And leave a space between the parameters.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.