How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

SD Card Problems!

(6 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by CROX
  • Latest reply from supermansghost
  • Topic Viewed 2589 times

CROX

Hope someone can help!

My f-in-law just bought a new acer laptop with home premium.

I also bought a new canon digital camera with a Sandisk 2Gb card. Vista won't read it and says that it needs formatting. The camera reads and writes to it, and I can access it through a USB cable.

I have used an older 256Mb card, and it works fine, but another 2Gb card, bought with same camera also doesn't work. Very frustrating to say the least.

Any ideas?

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost

I'm guessing the problem is because the card doesn't fully support the SD spec...

Posted 7 years ago

CROX

superman: can you clarify that post? I don't quite understand! The SD card is brand new, as is the laptop.

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost

Normally compatibility problems come in one of these types:

1) SD card doesn't support the SD spec properly (some of the fastest ones have compatibility problems)

2) SD card reader won't recognize the bigger SD cards.

3) Formatting problems.

What I'd recommend doing is reformatting the drive from windows, and then see if the camera will be able to use it. Perhaps the camera formatted it in a way that Windows can't read it.

Posted 7 years ago

CROX

thanks for the reply. I just checked the card on my laptop, win xp pro, and it works great! It is a brand new laptop and card, so guessing that it is possibly a Vista issue?

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost

There's a good chance the drivers for the SD reader aren't working properly under Vista. Check and see if you can find different drivers from the manufacturer.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.