How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Screws for Case fan/Radiator

(20 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by PackDrill
  • Latest reply from Kelen
  • Topic Viewed 764 times

PackDrill
PackDrill

What's the technical name and where can I find these? I have a thick Fan that I use for my CPU cooler's radiator and I cannot find the right screws, I want a create a Push and Pull with a fan on each side.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Technically, they are called coach bolts. Probably cheaper to buy a length of threaded rod, cut it into the lengths you need, and use nuts, and washers.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

You can get away without the shoulder on the screw as long as the threads match the threads in the radiator. Just make sure the length is the same to avoid damaging the radiator. You should be able to find what you need at a decent hardware store.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

LF, I think what you call a shoulder, is what we call a head. And looking at the pic, I think it is blind holes. (difficult to tell)

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

By shoulder, I'm referring to the unthreaded portion of the screw. I'm guessing you are right about the blind holes which is why I said the lengths must match. One advantage to your suggestion about using all-thread is the rods can be preinstalled in the radiator and the fan slipped over the rods before inserting the rod ends into the case holes; 'twould be less of a juggling act.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

LF. Yes, we call that bit the shank. And screws are threaded all the way up (except for the older type of wood screws) while bolts have a shank.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

It's also called a shank here. Six of one, half a dozen of another although shoulder is also used to refer to a precisely machined shank, often larger in diameter than the threads. Wood screws here still have an unthreaded shank and a thread that is tapered at the end. We can still get drill bits that have the same tapered end here.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

For those wood screws, 2 different sizes of drill bit, and a countersink bit. I know. Was trained by experts.
Although 3 in 1 bits did exist at the time, they were very expensive.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Haven't seen a three in one in years. Those are more common in assembly line work. More common now is to use the tapered bit to drill the pilot hole and a straight bit to open up the clearance hole for the shank. A separate counter sink is cheaper but the pros use a counter stop countersink that slips over the bit and both acts as a countersink and a bit stop collar. I was also professionally trained and worked in cabinet shops for a while after getting out of college.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

And the OP's name is PackDrill :) Wonder when he will turn up.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

After he finishes his march?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

It is March 13th now.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Thank God it isn't Friday.

Posted 1 year ago

PackDrill
PackDrill

I'm here LH :)
I would like to order 8 of these, I really need to place two fans on each side of that radiator, I can't find any Couch bolts for case fans, still looking.

Posted 1 year ago

PackDrill
PackDrill

I'm also searching for replacment screws for the Antec Kuhler 620

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen
Kelen

Take some measurements or look over the charts. Screws

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Coach, not couch.

Posted 1 year ago

PackDrill
PackDrill

Sorry yes, Coach* lol I miss-typed it on here, don't worry I didn't search for Couch bolts xD

Kelen, I'll be sure to take measurements, this site looks like it will have what I need.
Cheap too.

Posted 1 year ago

PackDrill
PackDrill

Kelen, I love you.
Thanks a bunch sir!

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen
Kelen

Welcome

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!