How-To Geek Forums / Linux

(Solved) - Screenshots on Android via PC

(15 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by hArLtRoN
  • Latest reply from CompWiz
  • Topic Viewed 1312 times

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I have done this before on my laptop and I now want to do it on my desktop. The problem I'm running in to is that once I install JDK, the Android SDK doesn't recognize that JDK is installed. I am following these instructions. Does anyone know how to fix this???

Thanks for any help!

Screenshot of Problem:

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I figured it out. For some reason I had to install the x86 JDK instead of the x64 JDK even though I have a x64 OS.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

hArLtRoN, you wanted to transfer screenshots from your android device to your PC?

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

No. Android doesn't allow you to take screenshots of your device unless your rooted (I am not rooted). With the Android SDK, you can take screenshots of your device via your PC.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/h.....ile-phone/

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

I'm not rooted and I can take screenshots and tether. I'm using Galaxy 2 from Samsung. The screenshots I take them similar to the iphone home+lock button and viola save it in my album. For tethering I use easy tether. To use it as a hotspot then I would have to root...but right now I have no reason. I would if I couldn't do one of the above.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I have the HTC EVO 4G and the home+lock combination doesn't work :(

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

Oh...I didn't even know I could do that until a friend told me about like 2 weeks ago.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I would root except my parents won't let me since the pay the bill.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I have found various apps that are supposed to let you take screenshots without being rooted and so far only 1 worked but I didn't realize it was a trial and the full version was ridiculously priced!

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

I see.. : \

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

Thanks for your suggestion regarding the home+lock button :)

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

I just saw this in Yahoo answers..

In general, there are two ways to take screenshots on an Android phone: 1) root it and install a screen capture app and 2) connect to a computer and use the Android SDK. While both methods work just fine, they are overly complicated for something as simple as grabbing a screenshot. On the iPhone, for example, you simply press the home and power buttons at the same time.

Why Google didn't include an easy screenshot function in Android is baffling but as an HTC EVO 4G user, you don't have to worry about rooting or fumble with the SDK. It's unclear why this works on the EVO and not on other unrooted phones running Android 2.1, but for some reason, our favorite WiMAX phone is able to take screenshots with an app that usually requires root called ShootMe.

Here's how to do it:

Download and install ShootMe from Android Market.
Go to a screen that you want to capture.
Shake the EVO for about a second or yell at it (ridiculous methods, I agree, but that's the way it's done).
Retrieve your screenshots from the ShootMe folder on your microSD card.

OR

Most Android phones require Root access and/or an app in order to be able to take a screenshot of your phone’s display. Well, that’s not the case on the HTC EVO Design 4G! HTC was kind enough to provide the ability to take a screenshot easily without any third-party software! You heard correctly… no root or third-party paid app required. This method is totally free and simple! Just follow the steps below to start taking screen shots on your HTC EVO Design 4G.

Instructions:

1. Hold down the POWER button and then press the HOME button.

2. That’s it! Seriously, it’s that easy! You’ll see a message appear on the screen that says “screenshot saved to Camera shots”. You can then go to your Gallery app to see the screenshots that you have captured.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

Dang, holding the POWER button and then pressing HOME doesn't work -.-

ShootMe doesn't work on my phone. It asks for ROOT access like I though I would.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

This is what the window looks like to take screenshots via PC

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

Nice!..

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!