The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Screen Dark

(4 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by bobshoebox
  • Latest reply from ronniesonora
  • Topic Viewed 422 times

bobshoebox

I have a tower with custom internal stuff (was a gift) with a Samsung screen. I got it and for many weeks it soared and was fast and efficient. Each night I turned it off, (shut down) from the start menu and each morning turned on the switch on the tower and the screen as well. One morning I did just that and the screen wouldn't come on, so I tried it in Safe Mode and it worked great, albeit very slow. I haven't been using it since the solution isn't clear and probably expensive. I tried resetting the native resolution but it did not help.

I turn it on in Safe Mode it works. I turn it on Normally and I can hear the tower working but no screen. Any thoughts?

HELP!

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

bobshoebox hi,
Do you have an external video card or is your video integrated on the mobo?
When you try and start in normal mode does the amber light on your monitor turn blue or does it stay amber?
You say custom internal stuff, what exactly does that mean?

Posted 2 years ago

bobshoebox

Hi,
I guess the video is integrated. I do have a cd that I reloaded but didn't change anything. The light on the screen is blue and doesn't change color and stays bright. Custom internal stuff just means that I think the tower was built for a friend with great financial situation and he gave it to me. It doesn't look like something you'd buy in a store, it looks like it was custom built. I hear the tower making engine noise then screen goes dark after having Microsoft XP logo but the light stays bright blue.

Posted 2 years ago

ronniesonora

I would think you had a separate video card because the Monitor seems to be running off the Video driver in the MB CMOS during Boot and in Safe mode. That indicates that your Monitor is OK and that the problem is the Video software or the card itself. Can you open the pc and check to see if you have a separate video card or you can download "Speccy" and it will tell you. http://www.filehippo.com/search?q=speccy

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.