How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Screen brightness cannot be changed in Win7

(8 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by chirantanf
  • Latest reply from chirantanf
  • Topic Viewed 1808 times

chirantanf

Hello,

i have just upgraded my HP dv3 laptop to windows 7. but instead of using win 7 home premium that HP sent along with their upgrade manager DVD, I used win 7 professional that i already had.
but before starting upgrade i used HP's upgrade manager to update BIOS, after that i installed win 7 pro and after the clean installation I again inserted HP's upgrade manager DVD as it said it had all the necessary drivers for my laptop. i have also downloaded all the drivers from HP site, and installed that were newer than the upgrade manager DVD.

everything has worked well so far, but im facing problem with changing screen brightness, it cannot be changed either by using HP's function keys (but functions keys work for everything else, like play, pause, stop, sleep) or via power options. even when i change the slider to change brightness it does nothing, brightness it stuck at 1 level. how can this issue be addressed? as at this brightness my battery drains too fast.

i have posted same topic on HO support forums, but still havent got any solution yet.

- Chirantan

Posted 4 years ago

cavok

I'm not sure about OEM disks but you can upgrade retail copies of Win7 just by purchasing an upgrade key. Apparently all the functionality is there, you just have to enter the key to unlock it.

If you could change the screen brightness with the HP Win7 Home, you may be able to upgrade that by entering the key from your Win7 Pro copy.

Garry

Posted 4 years ago

chirantanf

i dont think there is anything to unlock here, i have installed legal win 7 pro which i got from MSDNAA thru my school. i have even activated my copy of win 7.
this is somethin to do with display driver i guess.

Posted 4 years ago

marks100
marks100

hi chirantanf
this will not solve your problem, but it will save your eyesight,lol.go to the bottom of your screen to BATTERY icon next to the little speaker,r/c click on battery tick (balanced)under power plan,hope it helps.
try switching from the ,balanced,to hi performance.

Posted 4 years ago

chirantanf

i tried doing that 'marks100' but changing power schemes doesnt change screen brightness :(

Posted 4 years ago

marks100
marks100

hi chirantanf
sorry (mine seems to work ok)without using slider, i think something else you loaded with ..win,7(ide: drivers is conflicting with drivers on win,7 install disk, if this is any help i installed win,7 pro, over vista left drivers as was.when finished all ok,i think all necessary drivers are like
you said on win,7....install disk,hope you sort it.

Posted 4 years ago

cmb

Hi

i had the same prob, but a couple of days later win 7 did an update and a update for
the graphics card was downloaded and i found i could ajust the display brightness again

Regards
Carolyn

Posted 4 years ago

chirantanf

yes i guess there can be driver conflict, what win 7 has on the install DVD and what i downloaded from HP, same thing happened with audio drivers, i had to install Intel audio drivers since i had IDT drivers from HP.

i hope windows updatw would solve the issue for me, like it did for you Carolyn.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!