The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - scan USB thumb

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ttt
  • Latest reply from ttt
  • Topic Viewed 830 times

ttt

i tried to follow your instuctions about installing msescan however when it said to move the msescan.vbs script file into the Windows directory i got lost, it didn't seem to say how to do this...so how do you do this? thanks ttt

Posted 1 year ago

owen123
owen123

If you want to do a virus scan, then if you replace your current Anti virus software with Microsoft Security Essentials, then you can right click on a drive and hit scan.

Owen

Posted 1 year ago

ttt

by replace do you mean i have to trash other virus/malware software on my computer? i didn't replace it but i put Mirosoft Essential on my desktop and then did a right click but it did not identify any drive to be scanned??? it gave me these choices: open, open file location, run as administrator, send to, create, short cut. Also i don't know the drive because i am afraid to put the thumb drive back in the computer (that would identify which drive its in) because that is how i re-infected my computer...

Posted 1 year ago

ttt

take two by ttt, on one of the howtogeek post it said that installing superantispyware was a good thing and that a full scan only took 20 min, well its now been running 16 hrs+ and has detected 1851 threats but still no completion? what is wrong? thanks ttt

Posted 1 year ago

ttt

ttt, me again, sorry superantispyware just completed after 16 1/2 hrs and now the treats are deleted...thanks

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Do not have more than one AV app running on your machine at the same time. You may get conflicts.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

...and do not confuse spyware, adware, and malware with viruses they are completely different things.

Posted 1 year ago

owen123
owen123

Can you not, right click on a data stick in my computer, then you should get this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Owen

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

If simply putting a drive in your computer infects the computer then there is nothing you can do but destroy the drive or format it on a computer which you do not care if it gets infected. Another solution would be to image your computer. Plug in and fix the drive then restore the image.

Posted 1 year ago

ttt

thanks all of you, i will see if i can do the right click but i don't think it will show MC essentials because its not dedicated to MC essential...
Can i use a mac to destroy PC viruses/malware on the infected thumb drive? xhi how do you image??? but thanks to all for your comments and assistance ttt

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

To image use Macrium Reflect a free program. Make a rescue disk by following their instructions. Then take an image of your system when it is malware free. Then fix/format your disk. If a problem restore the image.

Posted 1 year ago

ttt

owen, i did what you told me and the box did pop up however when i hit scan it started to scan the PC not the USB thumb drive, so i selected CUSTOM and it then showed me the different drives, so i selected the affected port/thumb drive, however after doing that the OK box was DULL (light colored) and couldn't be checked, only the CANCEL box was drak and could be checked. So i couldn't tell MS essential which drive to scan???

Posted 1 year ago

owen123
owen123

Is the drive, definitely got a virus on it? If so and there is no important data on it, you might be better of formatting it.

Can you open the drive in my computer, try posting a screen shot of my computer (with the drive in)

Tutorial for posting pictures

Owen

Posted 1 year ago

ttt

thanks to all (especially owen) its all clear now, great forum for assistance...ttt

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.