The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

scan printed material & transform text to editable Word file

(15 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by glrsj
  • Latest reply from gedstar
  • Topic Viewed 1768 times

glrsj

I want to copy some printed pages from some books and save them in the computer as editable Word files. This would save me a lot of space if I were to just scan and print those pages. I don't want to carry around lot of printed material which gradually becomes bulky. Scanned and saved material on the laptop will occupy very little space. But I want to be able to pick out material and rearrange somehtings for the purpose of talks or classes.
Therefore I would like to know how I can lift only the text from a scanned page (scanned on a HB Diskjet F 2120 scanner printer) and copy it to a Word file for rearranging it for my needs.
glrsj

Posted 1 year ago

glrsj

I would also like to know the same thing as above but using win 7 on laptop.
glrsj

Posted 1 year ago

glrsj

Since there is no response i will reword the request in 2 parts. It is this. (1) Is it possible to take printed text from a pdf file and paste it to a word file for editing and modifing purpose?
(2) A printed page is scanned. Is it possible to take only the textfrom the scanned file and paste it to a Wors file for editing?
I hope this makes things a little clearer.
glrsj

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar

Answer to question 1
You can just highlight the text you want to copy and paste it into a word document, and if you want to convert the word document to pdf use something like this http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp
Answer to question 2
Depends on the type of scanner you are using, some scanners have software included OCR, that will scan to Word.
Depending on what Office version you have, the below will work for Office 2007 and 2010

http://www.wikihow.com/Turn-a-.....d-Document

Posted 1 year ago

edmenje

You need OCR software (optical character recognition) to do what you are looking for.
Here is an item from MakeUseOf.com with a few options for free OCR solutions you can start your search with.

Edit: @gedstar I think the OP is looking for the reverse option of what you suggested.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar

According to the OP he wants to copy text from a PDF, which is my first answer and scan documents to word which is my second answer or did I read it wrong?
Cute PDF was just given as an option if he wanted to convert the word doc to PDF

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

gedstar:

I agree with your second answer... most scanners come with OCR software -- optical character recognition -- which transforms words and paragraphs from scanned images to editable letters (characters).

OP -- did your scanner come with a CD ROM? I wouldn't be surprised if it included OCR software.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Here is how you do it.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

@whs, I never knew you could do that! This will save me tons of typing in the future.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Yeah, it is a neat feature.

Posted 1 year ago

glrsj

Thank you all for your help. First part of my problem is solved. I could copy text from scanned text to Word file and it is editable.I have been using HP Deskjet F 2120 scanner/printer. Both my Desktop using XP and laptop using windows 7 Ultimate could use the OCR program which was in Office 2003. I use Office 2003 in both computers since it is more than enough for my needs. Actually I had used this OCR facility about 3 years ago and then never used it again, So I had forgotten it. With your reminder I got it working again.Thanks for the help.
Regarding part 2 of the problem - converting pdf file to editable Word file.I downloaded the Cute pdf converter as suggested by whs. Tried to install it on my laptop having Win 7 Ultimate OS. While troublshooting compatibility the computer mentioned some problem and then said it solved it. But I don't see Cute pdf or Ghost script converter mentioned anywhere on the laptop. Computer says it is installed but i don't see it anywhere. I shall try again later and let you know if I succeed.
glrsj

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

Another free program that will convert pdf to Word, and it does work with Windows 7, is FreeOCR

Posted 1 year ago

whs

For PDF to Word there are many programs. But here we are talking of .jpg or .png to Word.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Yes, FreeOCR will convert .jpg to editable text -- it can also export text to MS Word.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar

Hi glrsj
Cute pdf will only convert from Word to PDF and not the other way around.

"But I don't see Cute pdf or Ghost script converter mentioned anywhere on the laptop"
If you have a word document opened go to File and Print and you will see CutePDF there as a printer option, just select that and it will convert the word doc to PDF

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.