The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Scan a Windows PC for Viruses from a Ubuntu Live CD

(2 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by rackafee
  • Latest reply from presence1960
  • Topic Viewed 800 times

rackafee

I am an Ubuntu newbie and the sort that needs all instructions to begin with "wake up in the morning, sit up, pivot your legs around.........etc." So here goes my question. In the article referenced above there are some example results shown for the virus scan that include some files after a screen that says "A virus was found!" and lists one file that says "infection: EICAR Test: Not an infection!!!!" I understand that is a possible infection. In the the same screen shot (labelled "results of last scan") there are other files listed with "error found when scanning" listed under "results" and "archive is password protected" under "operation." Are these files suspect too? I ask because I ran ClamAV from an Ubuntu live cd and got similar results and was unsure whether to suspect files labelled as "error found when scanning" and "archive is password protected."

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

The only reason you need to run AV in Ubuntu (desktop or server) would be if you are sharing files with a windows PC. Some in the linux community believe windows users need to learn how to scan and lock down their own machines. I believe in being a good neighbor. Before I send anything to my windows only using friends I scan it. Running Ubuntu you really don't need an AV YET (YET IS THE KEY WORD!) Currently there are no virus in the wild for linux,

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.