The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Saving web articles to computer

(20 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by madmacs
  • Latest reply from Spacegold
  • Topic Viewed 1036 times

madmacs

Hi all, reading through the threads here (and there!), there are some really good links that are posted which I would like to save. These links sometimes have several pages of text/pictures that I would like to save for future reference. So my question is how can I save them to my PC and view them later offline exactly as it´s done online (i.e. when I press next page I can go to the next page)? I´m using Firefox 3 and if needs be IE7!! Thx in advance, Matt.

Posted 6 years ago

SarahJames

Hi Madmacs,

There are several options.
You can use Winhttracks.
It saves the entire website so you can browse it later offline. There are a lot of possibilities to limit the files you want, but I never was very good at setting them like I wanted :(

Another option is in IE7 to click on 'pagina', 'save as ...' and then save the page as mht file.
I do that a lot. Saves a single page, keeps the links in it working.

Yet another option is to save the page as an image.
If you use FastStone Capture (the old version, there is a link somewhere in my posts, but I can't remember right now. Anyway that one is still free, new version isn't) you can save the entire page, also the part that doesn't fit on your screen. It's very handy:)
And it is a nice screencapture tool anyway.

Hope there's anything in these that works for you:)

Cheers,
Sarah.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Get FastStone Capture here:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=775

Posted 6 years ago

Spacegold

Sarah, are you using a Dutch language computer? Pagina is Page on my computer. "Save as" in the "File" dropdown of the menu bar in IE does the same thing.

Posted 6 years ago

SarahJames

@ Spacegold : yes, Dutch version. I used the right term just a couple of words later - must have been half asleep when I wrote that! LOL
(like a dolphin I keep on moving, but to save time first one half my brain is sleeping, then the other ...
You get some weird results that way from time to time.)

Posted 6 years ago

madmacs

Thx alot Sarah and Scott, I´ve always wondered about this but never actually got around to doing anything about it!! I think I´ll try FastStone Capture. @SarahJames that makes you practically my neighbour coming from Holland, lol. But James isn´t a Dutch name is it, I only ask because I´m a Brit living in Germany!!

Posted 6 years ago

madmacs

Have I missed something, or can FSC only save one page at a time? Not the end of the world but I´d like it to save the whole link, thx Matt.

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

Personally I would just print the page to a PDF file...

http://www.dopdf.com/

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Matt, if you want to use FastStone Capture to get a whole page, use the "Capture Scrolling Window" feature which is an icon of a page with an downward pointing arrow. The default shortcut is Ctrl+Alt+PrtScrn.

What I actually do to save web pages for offline viewing is File -> Save Page As, then select the type as "Web Page, complete". This creates a .htm file and a directory containing the images. When you view this offline, it uses your default browser and displays the page from the actual HTML, retaining links, animated gifs, and more. I always though that this would be a big waste of space, but these offline web pages are actually quite small.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

If available on your computer:
Save File Options.
Save As Single File in (.mht) Format.
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

madmacs

Thx everyone for the replies. I´ve noticed that I´ve been pretty stupid when it comes to such a simple question, lol.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

With Firefox you can use the ScrapBook extension. It lets you save web pages, edit the saved copies to remove unneeded things like navigation/ads and then you can view them at any time by loading the ScrapBook sidebar which has a list of all the saved web pages.

Posted 5 years ago

drifta

The Geek, isnt there a feature in built that allows you to print the file to a PDF? i remeber seeing it and also using it once. i cant rember exactly how but i am definatley sure that there is a way to do this without any external software.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Just save the URL in a folder in Favorites. You just have to make sure to put them into subfolders that are meaningfull. Else you will soon have a mess and find nothing any more - lol.

Posted 5 years ago

The Geek

There's no way built into Windows to save files to PDF. It's built into Mac OS X, but I'm assuming Microsoft didn't want to pay license fees to Adobe for every copy of Windows, so it's not included.

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent

Yeah, print to PDF is the way i do it. I use cute pdf writer....it's free. My cousin wrote a program for a class that he was taking. You put the page url into this box and it just pulls the page with images and all and saved them on the PC as html. I would then convert them to pdf.

Posted 5 years ago

drifta

thats weird cuase i rmeber using such a feature. it was once a few months ago. ill see if i can find what i did.

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold

What am I missing here? When I want to save a web page, I just open File>Save as..>(selected folder)>filename.

When I want to read it, I go to the folder, click the filename and IE launches with the page in view.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Spacegold, you aren't missing much.

When you save a page, what is the save type? In IE7, I have these choices: "Webpage, complete (*.htm, *.html)", "Web archive, single file (*.mht)", or "Webpage, HTML only (*.htm)".

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold

I never noticed that before, Scott. Thanks. I guess I have been saving as .htm all this time, and not worrying about it. Now I'm worried. :))

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.