How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Save yourself some headache....

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Spyromojo
  • Latest reply from Odeho19
  • Topic Viewed 1028 times

Spyromojo
Spyromojo

I created a new primary partition on my hard drive and installed the Windows 7 Beta. Microsoft Update Catalog ( http://catalog.update.microsof.....%20drivers ) had a client driver for my AGP Radeon 3650 but not for my sound and ethernet. I searched the net for 3 or 4 hours trying to come up with either vista or windows 7 drivers for them and found nothing. As a last resort I tried the XP drivers anyways. They worked wonderfully!!!

The moral of the story is that Microsoft should let users know that in many cases the XP drivers for your hardware will work just fine on Windows 7. Next time, if I can't find the driver I need within 5 minutes (cuz I usually can), I'll just use the XP driver.

By the way, I'm running Windows 7 Beta on a single core P4 3.2GHz with only 1.5GB of RAM and it's running just as smooth as silk. As smooth as or better than a fresh XP installation. = )

Posted 5 years ago

tonyespo

I agree, I am very pleased with my Win 7 Beta. I also had no problem with drivers except for my Wireless PCI card. I loaded a Vista driver for it and it workes perfectly. I hope they make Win 7 affordable once the trail period is over. I would like to keep this OS for awhile.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

> "The moral of the story is that Microsoft should let users know that in many cases the XP drivers for your hardware will work just fine on Windows 7."
Actually, Microsoft does let people know this.
Microsoft said that new drivers for most devices aren't needed for Windows Vista and for Windows 7 all the drivers for Windows Vista will work in Windows 7.
Many people just assumed after a couple bad drivers that Microsoft was lying to them but that is just not true.
If anything the moral of the story is that people jump in to new Operating Systems without reading all the available information and cause the problems they are complaining about by doing so :-|

Posted 5 years ago

Odeho19
Odeho19

I just gotta say, jd, I'm just waking up to work on a seperate issue than this, thought I'd hunt around for a while to see what's happening, and came across your last post. You're hilarious. Thank you for starting my day off with a smile :-))

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!