The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Save Vista WiFi info (WPA/WPA2) to USB

(7 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Spawn
  • Latest reply from Spawn
  • Topic Viewed 9569 times

Spawn

I've been trying to figure out how to save my WiFi settings to a USB Flash drive. However, every time I try to follow the steps necessary to save my WiFi settings to be used on other laptops without having to input any information.

So, after I accomplished the setup to save my WiFi setups which is using WPA2, I, all of a sudden, lose connections to my wifi router. I then have to re-enter the information again.

Does anyone have any good ways to save the settings that the wifi uses to usb, then when another laptop wants to use my wifi connections, I can just insert the usb drive in, viola, done...then remove it to do other laptops...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Spawn, hello and welcome. Is there a method that you are following now to save this data? It sounds as if you are running some kind of wizard.

Other than the SSID ("name") and the PSK ("password"), do you know what other information is being saved? If it were me, I would just copy the PSK to the flash drive and setup the new system manually, but I'm geeky that way and don't have a lot of machines to configure.

Posted 6 years ago

Spawn

I am geeky too, but I was just playing around. I wasn't trying to be lazy...I love to do these things, setting up and stuff...

Yeah it was from the wizard setup....I also use mac filtering too, and no broadcast....

I'll just stick with the geeky method...I thought I would give it a shot to try it...

PSK was the passphrase, i.e. like a password. It automatically generated the passphrase, i.e. wpa key. I am using wpa2-personal. Like in the future, if I get called in to do a job to setup there wifi networks...save time, make some dough....lol...I had the Verizon FiOS installed..this guy had the usb flash drive...boom took him only 5 seconds to setup...then left...very quick...was looking to do the same...no biggie....

Cheers

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Which wizard were you using? I was going to take a look at it, but I have never used one before.

Posted 6 years ago

Spawn

Control panel > Network and Sharing center > Connect to a network > Set up a connection or network > Set up a wireless router or access point > next > Next, <Windows detected network but not setup automatically > Create wireless network settings and save to usb flash drive.

Assuming you know what each > does, which I am confident you do.....

For the SSID, I used the Access point's SSID name...then the next step asked for a passphrase....I thought this part is a password, or use my WPA2-P passphrase?

So, there ya go....see if you can get any hints from there....

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

The reason that happens is because that wizard is to make the laptop be a wireless access point just like the router is a wireless access point.
You still use it to get a flash drive with the saved settings on it. The trick is after saving the settings to a flash drive is the cancel the wizard then the flash drive settings will work for the router on other computers.
I've done it with Windows XP and it works great. I'm not sure about Vista as I don't have any laptops with Vista to test it on.

Posted 6 years ago

Spawn

Thanks.....Vista is very different then XP....emmm....it was just for my knowledge to know..not really important...it would be great if I had to work on a laptop, say, x30 laptops, and charge for all of them, but get the job done real quick, viola, more profit for me..lol you catch my drift?

Cheers...

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.