The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

save on the desktop

(12 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by killabee
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 1588 times

killabee

hi i want to know how to save my files on the desktop by default instead of the location of the last save

Posted 7 years ago

mysticgeek

Depending upon the application you can go in and choose the default location to store files within the application. What kind of files and with what application are you trying to use?

Posted 7 years ago

killabee

it's for the files downloaded from the net with internet explorer i want to know how to have the desktop as a default location for saving them

Posted 7 years ago

jd2066

Unfortunately I don't think Internet Explorer has an option to do that.

Posted 7 years ago

Antman

Why not give Firefox a try? You can definitely choose a default location for saving files, plus it's an awesome browser anyway.

Posted 7 years ago

mysticgeek

Before reading any further ... MAKE SURE TO CREATE A RESTORE POINT AND/OR A FULL BACKUP OF YOUR OS!!!

If you are comfortable going into your registry you can make the change there.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

If you do not already have a value named "Download Directory" you can create it by...

Right click an open area and choose New >> String Value and name it "Download Directory"

Double click that entry and type in the path to your Directory. Usually C:\Users\'current user'\Desktop ... Where 'Current User' is your profile name.

Posted 7 years ago

jd2066

@mysticgeek: I don't think that will help. If I understand the question right, the user already has that registry key and the problem is the Internet Explorer updates that key to a new location if you browse to a different place in it's save dialog. From my testing just now, it appears Firefox does the same thing.
That maybe an extension for IE or Firefox that changes that but I don't know of it right now.

Posted 7 years ago

Antman

You don't need to fool with the registry key in Firefox. Just go to Tools/Options/Main then choose the default save location from there, surely.

Posted 7 years ago

jd2066

@Antman: True but it looks like that is for always saving to the specified folder. I think the OP wants a save to dialog to popup defaulting to a folder and if one then changes the folder it doesn't update that default. From what I can tell neither IE or Firefox can do that.

Posted 7 years ago

Antman

Fair enough then, although he didn't really specify that that was his aim.

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost

It's a pity people don't specify exactly what they are trying to do... makes it so much more difficult to answer questions.

Posted 7 years ago

jd2066

@supermansghost: That is true.
@Antman: I suppose so. It seems to me that if always saving to the desktop was the OPs aim, then there wouldn't be a problem as the last location saved to would always be the Desktop but I guess unless the OP responds we can't know for sure.
Justin

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.