How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Save folder location

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by prescotblue
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 283 times

prescotblue

Hi
I have a report generator program for multiple machines. I have a folder for each machine and into each of these folders I put the report generator EXE.
With XP i would run the report program and when I went to save the report the save location would be the folder from which I launched the EXE, which was nice!

Now, with Window 7, the save location is the last folder saved to, which may have been Machine 1 a week ago. If I launch the report for machine 6 I have to remember that I have selected machine 6 as the save location will be machine 1.

The report EXE has no configurable save location so it must be a windows thing. How can I get back to the XP way where the save location was the program launch folder?

Cheers

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

You would probably have to go back to XP. Things change. "the moving finger writes and having writ moves on"

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

+1

Just use "Save as.." and select your folder.

Posted 1 year ago

prescotblue

i do use "save as" and select folder - but I never used to have to with XP. I drives me nuts as I now have to remember which machine I am doing the report for, with XP it was easy as the "save folder" was exactly the same as the folder from which i launched the EXE.

Would love to go back to XP, but new laptop is W7 and runs the software faster.

There must be a way?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

See, you cannot have everything. Have to take the bad with the good.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.