The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Save and Restore Desktop Icon Layout in Windows Vista

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by SEDONA12
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 669 times

SEDONA12

In this original article there was a comment by BOB on 8-14-07 7:09AM as follows: There’s a change you can make to the reg file to add the ‘save desktop’ option to the right-click menu of the desktop itself:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\IconLayout]
@=”{19F500E0-9964-11cf-B63D-08002B317C03}”

How is this change made in the registry? Is it typed exactly as indicated with brackets & quotes? I'm an intermediate user and don't make too many changes to the registry quite obviously. I'm comfortable doing it as long as the directions are perfectly clear with no offense intended here whatsoever. I followed the oringal procedure and have been successful with the original intent of using the START button followed by a right click on "computer" to bring up the NEW menu. It all works as advertised....but it would be more intuitive to some degree to be able to right click on the desktop instead to bring up the new menu. Please advise as a statement followed the above recommendation by one of your editors indicating a change would be forthcoming....and I read that AFTER the oringal install. I am a Windows Vista Home user with 32bit. I'm just not certain how to add the portion of the registry change above that follows ContextMenuHandlers\ Thanks !

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

for ref.,
so others can have a look @ what OP is referring to: Save and Restore Desktop Icon Layout in Windows Vista

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Download the zip file. Unzip it. Double click on the .reg file. Accept the 2 popups.
Reboot computer.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!